13 • MIXED EMOTIONS

JONATHAN TOEWS knew that something was up with his best friend; and it wasn't the fact he turned 30, or that their season was sucking

                JONATHAN TOEWS knew that something was up with his best friend; and it wasn't the fact he turned 30, or that their season was sucking. Jon felt it had something to do with a certain some, a certain female goalie. He didn't realize just how much time the two were starting to spend together, or how they managed to get so many inside jokes. It hit him one day smack in the face as he watched the two leave practice together looking all buddy buddy.

Patrick and Parker seemed to be walking on egg shells around each other, and they seemed to be getting along almost too well. Most of the men on the team who were close to Pat noticed it. When you have close bonds with each other it's easy to see when one of them was acting off. Of course it would be Jonny to see first, then he brought it up to Crow to see if he knew anything.

Not once had the right winger's friends ever seen him look at a girl the way he looked at her, or talk about her like she was some sort of goddess to him. They all decided to sit and talk about it, and realized there were a lot of similarities between the pair so it made sense. Everyone liked Parker so they didn't mind if something were to go on between the two. Patrick deserved someone who could make him happy. This was a long time coming.

"Kaner, you doing anything tonight?" Jonny came up and wrapped an arm around Patrick's neck, "it's been awhile since we've done anything just the two of us." It had been almost a week since Pat's birthday and Jon felt bad for not doing much for his friend.

"Actually, Parker and I planned to hang out."

"Oh really?" Jon cocked an eyebrow at his friend, "Interesting."

"Yeah, sorry man."

"It's totally fine. You two seem to be doing more stuff together lately?"

"I don't know. She's fun to be around." Patrick didn't want to talk about feelings or anything along those lines; and with how Jon was talking to him he was sure it was leading down that path.

"Yah?" The Hawks' Captain playfully hit his friends arm, "I think that, you think, she's a little more than just fun to be around."

"Now what's that supposed to mean?" he stared blankly at him attempting to play dumb.

"You know. You probably find her hot, she is funny too-"

"If you think I'm planning on trying anything- I'm not. I care about her a lot."

"See! You do like her." Jon knew how easily Patrick started dismissing women after his last years couple month long fling, that now he didn't bother as much. Deep down though, Jon knew that his friend was just waiting for the right person now.