7 • ADJUSTING TO THE NHL

EXHAUSTION WAS all Parker had been feeling since coming to the NHL

    EXHAUSTION WAS all Parker had been feeling since coming to the NHL. She couldn't quite figure out how get her sleep in, and it was still preseason. She enjoyed getting some ice time before the actual season started. She was learning new tricks everyday and she was eternally grateful for this chance. This was the first time that she wasn't one of the more dominant people on the team, so Parker did her best to make herself seem as polite and grateful as possible. Normally she'd have a say and be one of the leaders.

Practice was almost done and she was just hanging out on the ice with the goalie coach, while some of the others fooled around shooting goals.

"How you holding up kid?"

"Hey Corey. I'm good, how's it goin?"

"Can't complain."

"You're looking stronger out there."

"I'm feeling so much better." The legendary Hawks goalie came and skated over to her. Their practice was up and Crawford was doing basic drills to get him back into the swing of it. He enjoyed working with Parker a lot, she was very lively and worked hard. She was someone that wouldn't let adversity get in her way, he could tell by the way she held herself on and off the ice, "Besides, you're coming a good ways too."

"I sure hope so. Just trying to play fine."

"In my professional opinion, you're doing better than fine." He knew she was trying to stay humble because he had heard she was normally a rather loud person. It wasn't hard to tell something was always on her mind, "I was always sorta curious Pork, how'd you end up playing with the boys?"

"Hm well," Parker let out a laugh recounting her younger hockey days, "trying to play hockey in Texas, sorta taboo. Where I'm from, we didn't have a league for just females so all three of us girls played with the boys. Then I got a call saying I'd been drafted to the USHL."

"Damn! It makes complete sense. Can't imagine how excited you were to get that call." Corey hadn't thought about the accessibility of the sport in areas that weren't known for hockey. He thought it was cool she fell in love with it still.

"I thought it was a joke at first! Didn't realize at the time I was even good enough."

"You must've had some talent because look at you now." Crow tapped his stick against hers, "don't you forget this kid- don't lose your confidence."

"Hearin ya loud and clear."

Crow felt satisfied with the answer he got in return. He wanted to make sure he was doing all he could for her, "So you still down for coming and having dinner with me and the wife. She talks about you nonstop."

"Of course! Wouldn't wanna let her down now would I."

"Might break her heart." he chuckled as he was crouched down besides Parker, "wanna head to the locker room then? Looks like Cap is leaving the ice."