6 • NEIGHBORS

preseason

preseason

A WARM glow was lingering in the air as the sun's golden rays truly started to fade in great contrast to the chilled air. Shadows from the tall city buildings loomed as night started to approach. The musk of the city was a smell the young girl has growing to love along with its crowded, rushing streets. Car horns blared, with street venders and other people yelling what seemed to be nonsense. In this moment Parker felt a smile creep up onto her lips as she could not imagine life getting any better. The happiness she felt swelling in her chest was a feeling she loved. Everything was working out perfectly for her.

Parker trotted along the sidewalk with a hop in her step as she headed towards her new living arrangements. In her hands she held a reusable grocery bag like it was a purse. It had many ingredients that she was ready to use to finally be able to make a home cooked meal.

Soon she was walking into her new apartment complex. Parker had been beyond excited when she was offered a housing contract. That meant she was going to be sticking around, and not living in a hotel anxiously. Her living situation was different so to say; she got to live in the same area as the practice arena and some teammates which made things easier. Normally, a rookie would live with one of the older guys, but her being a girl made it different. Bowman figured this would be best.

                   "This year, which has been an idea in the making, we decided to make it easier on some of the players if they chose to utilize it. We have apartments or condos that are right by MB. We would like you to be there, so no more staying in a hotel unless it's a road trip." Bowman sat at his desk with his hands folded on the top. He looked very pleased with himself and her. So far, management was happy with her.

Subconsciously Parker smiled, "That sounds great. Thank you."

"No, thank you for all your hard work so far. I know preseason can be rough but you seem strong."

"I'm doing my best." She nodded.

"Well, we already picked that you'll be living on the third floor apartment 7. There's plenty of extra space for any new players but Alex DeBrincat and Patrick Kane will be on your floor- and yes, I was surprised too when one of my veterans chose to take this route compared to his expensive place." Stan laughed when he saw the hidden shock on Parker's face when he said Pat's name. He remembered being confused at first too.

"Everyone needs a change." Parker shrugged, praying her cheeks weren't a bright pink. "It'll be nice to have some teammates close."

"Precisely. I thought it would be good to have them right on your doorstep so you won't be left alone. And I can have Pat look after you a bit," he chuckled, "Now, let's get you moved in and comfy."