9 • MIDDAY BLUES

november 6

november 6

        SHOCK RESONATED throughout  the entire Blackhawks locker room. As the news came through that Coach Q had been fired, there was a mixture of emotion-filled reactions. The veterans looked pissed yet sad, and the younger players just seemed confused; not knowing how to act. Nobody really spoke as Bowman told them the news or even afterwards as it probably hadn't sunk in. Parker hadn't been around enough to feel the loss personally, but this was still the coach that won three Stanley Cups with this team; and now suddenly things were going to change..

Parker immediately saw the impact it had on the team and herself. Changes in the locker room were always going to effect people, but this was to a whole new level than a teammate being gone. The coach, possibly one of the hearts and soles of a team, was just fired. Had this been their fault? Not having played well enough to show he deserved to still be here? There were a lot of unknowns suddenly sweeping into people's heads, especially about what was going to happen next.

Standing by in the locker room and hearing the interviews Johnny, Pat, and the other older guys were conducting made her feel truly for them. They were clearly trying to keep how they felt to themselves, and tried to sound optimistic and professional. Acting mature was a huge part of making it in the NHL because of times like these.

Parker felt out of place as she sat awkwardly scrolling through her phone. Thank goodness nobody wanted an interview from her about what happened, but she still felt a tightening feeling in her chest. Normally she would have been on her couch watching tv by now, except things were taking forever. If she could actually drive she could have been home by now rather than this depressing setting where no one seemed in good spirits. She didn't handle these moments well, she was naturally carefree and tried to never seem down around others.

               Patrick was done with all the attention he was getting right now from the media team. He wanted to be alone right now, try to call Q, and just lay down for a nap or get some food. He knew he couldn't make the phone call yet though, things needed to settle down some more. It was hard not to worry about how his, now, old coach was holding up.

His bag was all set and he quickly looked around the locker room to see most people still there. Interviews were still going on as well. When his eyes finally settled on Parker, a soft smile formed on his lips without him even realizing it. She was sitting looking rather bored just scrolling on her phone. He figured she'd need a ride since she was supposedly no good at driving; it took a lot to get himself to go over but he figured he should. Deep down he actually wanted to.

"Hey." Patrick lightly kicked her foot with his to get her attention. She looked up at his with some confusion, "need a ride?"

"Yes please."

"Let's go then. Mood here isn't that great."

"Okay." she simply nodded without saying anything else, she complied pretty easily and just left behind him. Pat was upset and it was fairly easy to tell from his body language.