8 • COMFORT

GAMES HAD now begun and the schedule was finally in full swing

        GAMES HAD now begun and the schedule was finally in full swing. It started a lot quicker than Parker was expecting it to, and it wouldn't be slowing down anytime soon. When Parker was given the nod to be in net for the season opener, it didn't feel like it was actually happening. Nerves and pride were hitting her at all once but she knew she needed to step it up and not let anyone notice. She had the win against Ottawa, and then a win against the Blues. Two W's to start the season felt great. Until the Leafs won in OT against her. Losing never came easy, but that was always forgotten with a win. Five 'straight' games she played and after she was exhausted. 'Welcome to the NHL' was a comment Patrick made at her with a smug smile.

It was one town after another, sometimes with no breaks between games. Other times they'd have a day or two to rest. The month of October went by all too fast for Parker. A lot faster than she was actually expecting. What caused that was definitely being thrusted into play time and the constant media coverage. There were so many questions she was having to answer, appearances to make. Her favorite parts of the day were simple practices with Crow and lying down in her bed.

Parker felt like her coming to the NHL was going better than she thought. So far, she felt her reception was being taken well, and people were starting to forget she was a girl and making a big deal out of it. Of course she was constantly answering questions about if she felt comfortable or if she was struggling. But, she hoped her net-minding was what was doing the talking. It was hard, because their Hawks defense could be looking a lot better and it definitely put more weight on her and Corey as he made his return. Not everyone understood that someone scoring isn't always the goalies fault.

             The last day of October was tomorrow, which was the start of the Canadian road trip. Tomorrow they'd be playing Vancouver, and a few wins would be nice as they were having a decent start of the season. Everyone was to be meeting at the practice arena to take a bus to the airport and head to Vancouver.

Coach Quenneville scanned the bus. He could have sworn everyone was here until he realized it was a bit too quiet for that to be true. "Where's Parker and Alex?" His firm voice called out. Everyone was anxious and ready to leave as the weather grew worse.

"They're on their way!" John Hayden yelled as he had received a text from Parker earlier, "they just got stuck."

The morning sky was dark and dingy as soft drizzle started to rain down. It was merely minutes later when Alex and Parker ran up the stars of the bus laughing with their hair wet. Their cheeks were red as they realized they were the last two to arrive.

"Take a seat you two."

"Sorry sir." All eyes were on the two younger players, and everyone else wanted to put their two cents into it. No one was planning on letting this go for the whole ride.

There was an open seat next to Patrick and Parker immediately took it before she could get scolded some more.

"Hey." she smiled over at him. He had been staring out the window with his headphones in.