21 • STORM

THE TIME was 12:30 a

               THE TIME was 12:30 a.m. when Parker jolted awake at the sound of booming thunder. Through her curtains she could see flashing light and soon the noisiness of heavy rain kept her awake. Her body was cold as she slightly started to shake under the covers. She kept her eyes closed tight as she prayed for the storm to pass, feeling anxiety coursing through her. Parker hated the sound of the rain hitting the side of the building, she hated storms in general. Being alone in the dark bedroom, Parker could only stare up at the ceiling as she clung to her blankets. Her chest felt heavy and trapped in the feeling of fear as she could only anticipate another strike of thunder. "Just go away..." she groaned softly as her eyes started to fill with tears. Feeling on edge kept her awake when all she wanted to do was fall back asleep.

She couldn't drift off no matter how hard she tried. Half an hour had gone by and she continued to toss and turn. It seemed as if the thunderstorm wouldn't be going anywhere as it continued to keep her jumping at every noise. She was growing endlessly frustrated watching the clock tick by.

Parker was scared and the only person she wanted to be with was Patrick. She hadn't talked to him and she missed him desperately; and she wanted to be in his arms. Would he be mad if she were to wake him up? She was feeling scared and not in the right state of mind, she wanted to go to him. Even though she messed up by avoiding him; was he mad at her? Parker figured he was, but right now she just wanted to see him.

                Parker had grabbed a blanket and wrapped it around her as she walked down the hallway to Patrick's apartment. She was utterly exhausted and needed to be with someone else. Never in her life had she lived alone before and it was finally too much for her to handle, at least for tonight. There'd always been someone to talk to, but now there wasn't even anyone up to text.

She knew she'd probably regret this, but she rang the doorbell before she could really think about it. Her stomach was in knots as she waited.

It took a few minutes, but soon the door swung open to reveal a tired Patrick, who was only in a pair of boxers and he looked good. He went from seeming extremely annoyed by whoever was at the door to seeing Parker, and his mood changed immediately. He could never be upset with her no matter if it was 1 am or 1 pm. Or if she hadn't talked to him in over a week.

"Parker?" his voice was groggy and laced with worry. He didn't realize the state he was in, but he slowly picked up on her wandering eyes.

Parker stared at him slightly gaping. She was taken back seeing him like this, "Uh hi uh, sorry to wake you I-"

"What's wrong? Are you okay?" he wasn't fully awake yet, but he knew she wouldn't be waking him up in the middle of the night if it wasn't important. Especially with how things were going between them.

"It probably seems dumb, but I can't sleep because of the storm and-"

A heavy thunder crackled through the silence of the hall and it made Parker jump.