11 • DRINKING WOES

THE HAWKS just lost a home game to Tampa

THE HAWKS just lost a home game to Tampa. The team would go on a losing streaks and then win a few, and then lose some more. It was indefinitely frustrating because this team had some of the most talented players, yet they weren't getting any results. Luckily it was early enough in the season where no one was losing their wits on one another. Anger wasn't on the rise, yet.

Three younger members of the Hawks; Parker, Alex, and John Hayden sat in DeBrincat's living room, along with Alex's girlfriend. There were beers on the coffee table and a half empty box of pizza. It was almost midnight.

Parker sat with Lyndsey as the two boys were fighting it out on a video game. The girls were chatting about random things, Lyndsey still trying to see if there was at least one girly bone in the goalie's body. Alex's girlfriend really liked Parker, she thought she was stunningly beautiful but still really down to earth. She was just so cool; that being the best way she could put her new friend. And it helped knowing there was someone responsible to make sure Alex didn't get himself killed.

"Yo Pork, beer?" It wasn't the best idea, but Parker soon found herself succumbing when John passed her a beer. She didn't tell anyone besides Patrick about the fact she was trying to stay sober, but maybe after six months she could have one and be okay. It was worth trying she thought.

Her tiny fingers grip the cold metal of the beer can. It's condensation making her tips wet and feeling like they couldn't hold on. The liquid was bitter as always and it made her body involuntarily shake as the first drink passed her lips. Memories of blackouts and late nights hit her full force and she set the can down almost instantly.

The three watched her curiously. It wasn't super noticeable, but just enough that they saw. Parker didn't normally display her emotions or even look affected.

But she was normally super social, and not as reserved as this.

"You good?"

"Yeah, sorry. Just been awhile." she forced a smile before going right back for the can. It was out of instinct.

Alex immediately started talking about what was on his mind, "I'm just frustrated you know? I don't get why we're not winning.." he was agitated, his hands turning red from squeezing the xbox controller.

"Maybe something just needs to click?" Lyndsey tried to do her best to console her boyfriend when times were tough, but he was extremely competitive and hated losing, "not everything works out."

"I hate how right you are." DeBrincat flopped back onto the couch, "Fuckk."

"We'll rally somehow. We gotta. I mean look at the damn scorers we got on this team." John was referring to Toews and Kane, and Alex.