14 • SPEED

ANAHEIM WAS warm and bright, and in great contrast to the chilly December weather in Chicago

      ANAHEIM WAS warm and bright, and in great contrast to the chilly December weather in Chicago. Parker was already enjoying being in the sun as they had just arrived. Beads of sweat were forming on her forehead and her breathing was heavier. The sun beamed into her eyes, sunglasses hardly being able to help. But she still enjoyed the hot weather she wasn't used to anymore as it reminded her of back home.

Patrick watched carefully as Parker's hair blew around in the breeze, then as she desperately tried to contain it. He could see her small bouts of frustration with her long locks, and it brought a small smile to his face as the whole team made its way out of the airport. She looked adorable and Patrick wished he could go over and help, or just try to be closer.

"Need help?" Patrick walked over to her, "trying to carry too much at once."

"I think I'm okay.." Parker was attempting to carry her bag, phone, and jacket; and keep her hair under wraps.

"Yeah right. I'll hold your stuff so you can put your hair back."

"Look at you with bright ideas. Sorta smart.." how did he think of that?

"I mean, I have sisters. I know a bit." he smiled at her before reaching out. As funny as it could have been to watch her struggle he wanted to try to help.

"Thanks Pat." Parker was blushing as she put her hair up in a ponytail and he held her belongings. It didn't help when a couple of their teammates looked and whispered amongst themselves.

To Parker's delight as they got onto the bus she found out the team would be heading to the hotel, after grabbing a bite to eat and then practicing. There would be time for a quick nap... The game was tomorrow and a pit was already forming in her stomach, and she wasn't even playing. Slowly a small part of her figured it was for the best for right now, save her some unneeded scrutiny. If only the team could find their groove then she could really prove herself.

For whatever reason, and it was constant too, her and Patrick sat together on the way over. As soon as he gave her his ever polite smile she was glad they were. She was always glad to be around him now... The streets of Anaheim were quickly moving and she found herself staring at all the sights. There would be so many new cities she'd be getting to visit due to hockey and she was ecstatic. It was funny though, how the guys would proceed to tell her that it would all get old soon, that is was just a routine. She could see why because in a way, that's how it was playing the same schools in college.

Patrick could only watch Parker wondering what was going through her head as she stared out the window. He knew after their conversation when they went out for ice cream changed a lot between them. There was an immediate reaction and whatever unknown feelings between them were out in the open. He still felt the ghostly touch of her smushed into his chest where he wished she could stay. Apart of him started realizing that apart for his romantic feelings for her, the two were just as close of friends as well.