19 • WINTER CLASSIC PT2

EMOTIONS WERE high as the clock ticked down

EMOTIONS WERE high as the clock ticked down. In minutes the game would be over, and from how it looked now, the Hawks would be losing. Parker sat on the side and she had just been pulled for the Empty Net. They had gotten off to a good start, but after some nasty penalties they just couldn't seem to come back. Her stomach lurched as a blaring noise went off signaling the Bruins had just scored. She groaned aloud as there was no chance for them to score two goals in the last 30 seconds to tie it up.

Parker and the rest of the Hawks watched with envy and disappointment as the Bruins celebrated in a huddle. Losing was one of the worst feelings in the world, and lately it seemed as if they'd been getting used to it. Everyone's body language was poor even as they shook hands with the winners.

As the team made their way back to the locker room, Parker felt someone wrap their arm around her shoulders. "nice game Pork. Thought you played solid." Alex was standing next her also looking somber, "sorry we couldn't help you out more."

"Don't worry too much. Hell of a game regardless." it was, somehow, becoming normal for the guys to throw apologies her way. The defense was doing nothing and the offense couldn't seem to compensate.

"So fun, right? Cold though."

"Absolutely. Hopefully we get at least another one. Such an awesome time." Parker had been more than grateful to experience her first outdoor game, and especially at Notre Dame. The time here was absolutely wonderful and it was like no other game. She'd never been this cold, but nonetheless she'd do it all over again.

"And maybe win?" the two players laughed. Those two and a few other of the younger guys decided they couldn't get too down about the season. No moping, they needed to keep their heads and positivity up.

"If only. But seriously. We gotta start producing some wins I mean.. second half of the season."

"Wonder how the guys are gonna take this game. How much lecturing and footage watching you think we'll get?"

Parker groaned, "A lot."

"Be a good time. Can't wait for Jonny to be on our asses some more." Dylan Strome grabbed his friends from behind, wrapping his arms around their necks, "he kinda scares me tbh."

"He's just been more serious than normal lately. Think management might be getting annoyed." Alex said with a hushed voice.

"Well oops, today won't help."

"Nope." the three separated and went to their respective lockers to start changing.

The mood was a dim one, no one seemed too pissed off, but it was tense. Everyone was scattered around taking off their gear as the press started to file in along with family. Answering questions about losing was never fun. Parker always found herself getting annoyed but had to keep it simple, and positive. It was hard not to give opinions on why they were struggling, at least she was good at keeping herself restrained.