The businessman

Vincent

Sitting in another endless meeting, I felt restless. People drone on about numbers and other insignificant insights. I sat there, letting my mind drift. It drifted to the card I have snuggled in my suit coat pocket.

The meeting wrapped, and the faces which I didn't care to remember exited the conference room. Once I was alone, I retrieved the card from my pocket, staring at it. I placed my finger on the button of the intercom and called my assistant.

A few minutes later, Emmy emerged in front of me.

"Yes, Mr. Powers?" She spoke.

I held up the card to her, which she took from me. "I want you to call this number, ask for Cherry, and set up a meeting for me at this address."

"Yes, sir," she responded, never questioning me. My employees never challenged me. My reputation preceded me as cold and ruthless. I could ruin their life in a matter of seconds.

Dismissing her, she turned to leave the conference room. I swiveled around in the chair and stood. I stared out of the enormous window in one of the many offices I held in my possession.

A few minutes later, Cruz arrived in the conference room. Cruz is my right-hand man who protected me, even from me. He could locate any information I needed and be discreet about it. It was one time I needed absolute discretion.

"Vincent?" His voice resounded through my ears.

I turned, grabbing a piece of paper and pen; I scribbled something down on it. Then handed it to Cruz. He held the piece of paper in his hand as he read what I wrote.

"I need you to find out information," I demanded.

"Do you think this is a wonderful idea?" He questioned me.

"It serves a purpose. Do as I say, Cruz," I ordered as he nodded. He turned and left. Emmy re-emerged a few minutes later. "You have a three o'clock meeting today."

"That is excellent. Clear any other appointments. Then dismiss everyone before my appointment arrives," I instructed Emmy.

"Yes, sir," she nodded as she turned, exiting the conference room.

I turned around and looked out the window. I prefer discretion with business. Very few people know of my dealings and what I plan. I preferred it that way. That was what made me powerful and ruthless.

The meeting I have today is insignificant. I met the business owners who did not understand I would dismantle their business one by one. They thought I plan to improve them. You can't save a sinking ship. All you can do is keep the people and let the captain drown.

Mismanaged funds and business dealings brought them to me. I didn't need to help them but chose to. I wasn't always a prick but could be one.

Now I wait.

Lacey

My phone rang, and I picked it up, seeing a number I didn't recognize flash across my screen. When I answered it, a woman's voice spoke to me. She requested a meeting between her boss and me.

I inquired why she didn't contact Carter? Most people didn't contact me. They went through Carter; it was a rule.

She explained that her boss chose a meeting with me and not Carter. He prefers discretion. Funny, considering the business I'm in at the moment.

I knew if I accepted this meeting, it would not end well for me where Carter was a concern. I saw what happened to a few of the girls that broke the rules. It was never pretty.