Decisions

Vincent

The minute my meeting finished, Cruz took me back to the beach house. I couldn't wait to hear Lacey's answer. Once we arrived, I got out of the car and walked into the house. Joe left, and I found her sitting on the couch, waiting for me.

She stood up and looked at me. Why did I have a feeling this wasn't good? I got to the point.

"You're leaving, aren't you?" I asked her as she walked towards me.

She stood in front of me. "I can't stay."

"I was so sure you would have said yes," I whispered.

"If you asked a month ago, I would have accepted even if we argued. I can't expect someone to rescue me when I need to rescue myself first," Lacey replied to me.

I reached into my pocket and pulled out an envelope. No matter what, I planned on honoring our contract. I handed Lacey the white envelope, and she took it from me, opening it, then looking at the check. I stood there as I watched her put the paper check back and hand it back to me.

"What are you doing?" I questioned her.

"I'm not taking the money. It was never about the money," Lacey mentioned as I took the envelope from her. "It was never about the money." I stood there as she repeated herself.

Then she placed a hand on my cheek and leaned in, giving me a sweet kiss before looking at me. "Goodbye, Vincent," Lacey told me.

She walked to the front door, opened it, then closed it behind her as she left.

"Goodbye, Lacey," I mumbled as I held the envelope in my hand.

Lacey

I walked out to the car and climbed in the back seat as Joe sat there. I wiped tears away as Joe turned to me.

"Are you sure you want to do this?" He asked me as I didn't make eye contact with him but wiped my tears.

"Yes, it's time I rescued myself for once," I responded as he nodded, then he pulled away. I turned and watched as the beach house became smaller in view. It completely disappeared from my perspective. I turned back around as he continued to drive back to Cedar City.

When we arrived back, it felt like it had been a lifetime ago. Everything felt different but the same.

"Joe, can we stop at the bank?" I asked as he nodded.

We pulled into the bank and parked while I got out of the car, walking inside. The manager changed their tune as he greeted me. Vincent must have released my assets, hence why they were so willing to wait on me. Money has that effect on people.

I walked into his office with him and withdrew all my funds until I found a different bank far away from this city. He kept questioning me, but I assured him that the money was for something important.

I stood up as I picked up the bag and carried it to the car. Once inside, I set the black bag on the seat next to me. Joe pulled away, and I said, "I need to make one more stop until you take me home, if you don't mind?"

"Not at all, Lace," he replied as we drove. I instructed him where to go. When we arrived, I got out of the back seat and grabbed the bag as I entered an office. Inside, a woman greeted me as I informed her I needed an apartment. She looked at me until I set the bag on her desk.

Opening it, I said, "I'm sure you have an apartment for me."

She smiled as I looked at her. Money talks, bullshit walks. She showed me an apartment, and I took it. It wasn't extravagant, but something simple with two bedrooms to it. I needed nothing luxurious until I figured out what I would do with my life.