Argument

Lacey

I walked to the beach before going back to the beach house. Walking along the shoreline as the darkened sky and moonlight hit the water, I found it peaceful. Heaven knows that when I return home, I face Vincent's wrath. I didn't care. The way he treated me is the same mentality as sitting there and looking pretty. For once, he treated me like an escort.

I finally walked back to the beach house and entered to find him sitting in a chair with a tumbler in his hand. He looked pissed.

"Explain to me why you felt the need to throw a tantrum like a three-year-old?" He demanded.

"I conducted myself well, unlike someone else I know who treated me like eye candy," I replied. He placed his glass on the end table and stood up.

"I do not appreciate people interrupting deals. When they do not understand them," he told me.

"Who says I don't understand? I know whose company it is and why you're doing it. I don't have to run a company to know that involving emotion is a terrible business," I responded to him.

"Well, you would know about that, wouldn't you?" He retorted as I regarded him. "Because being an escort means shutting off all emotions, no matter what." His words were sharp, like a knife cutting me.

I walked towards him. "Well, at least when people fuck me, they know what they're getting. When you fuck people, they never see it coming," I declared.

He looked at me and crossed his arms across his chest. "For someone that hates being an escort, you sure enjoy reminding people of it. Be very careful, Miss Powell. Using something you hate against people will bite you in the ass."

"It already has. Tonight proved it," I claimed as Vincent dropped his arms.

"I never threw your profession up in your face," he replied as I looked at him.

"No, you reminded me all I'm good for was one thing. You told me to eat my meal when I tried to have input on this deal you were doing," I reminded Vincent.

He looked at me as I turned and went upstairs to my room. I walked into the room and closed the door behind me, leaning with my back against it. Then I heard the front door open and close.

Vincent never threw my profession up in my face, but tonight I'm angry. I'm mad for not having someone listened to me and told me to be quiet. I spent three years being quiet, doing whatever they told me to do.

After a while, I went to talk to Vincent and apologized for my behavior. I opened my door and went to his room, but he wasn't there. I checked the house, and he left. I pulled out my cell phone and called him, but it only went to voicemail.

I stood there, realizing I made a mistake.

That night I didn't sleep at all. I tossed and turned. The next morning I awoke and got ready, then waited for him to return. He never did. Usually, he returns to the beach house after his meeting, but he didn't.

I tried to call him but only received his voicemail. All-day, I waited, with him not returning. Finally, I called Cruz.

Hello?

"Cruz, I'm wondering if you heard from Vincent?" I asked him.

Yes, Cruz answered

"Can I speak to him?"

I'm sorry, Miss Powell. It's not a convenient time right now.

"Oh, can you let him know I'm sorry?" I mentioned as I heard him sigh.

Yeah, I'll inform him.

Click

I sat down on the couch and placed my cell phone on the coffee table. I ran my palms over my face, wondering how angry Vincent was with me. I never had to worry if someone was mad at me, but it was different with Vincent.

I tried to keep myself busy until I heard from him, but I never did. I wondered if he rescinded his offer with a unique arrangement? I wouldn't blame him if he did.

At one point, I fell asleep on the couch, not wanting to sleep in my room. I fell into old patterns once again.

The next morning, the front door opening woke me. I sat up as it revealed Cruz. I stood up as he put his hand up as he walked upstairs. I walked over to the front door to see his vehicle parked out front.

I walked out to speak with Vincent and open the back door to find the vehicle empty. Disappointment flooded me as I heard someone say, "He didn't come with me."

I turned around and looked at him. "Did you give him my message?"

"Yeah, I did," he answered as he held a bag in his hand.

"He's not coming back, is he?" I looked at Cruz as he gave me a look.

"Give him a few days. I know him when he's in one of his moods. He needs a few days. That's why he sent me to retrieve a few things for him," he explained to me as I nodded.

I watched as he got into the driver's seat, closing the door behind him, then he pulled away. Vincent has moods, which meant that when he wanted to punish me, he would leave. This behavior made me wonder if I accepted his offer if he would walk out on me when he was in one of his moods? I didn't know.

I turned around and went back into the house and called Joe. I needed someone to talk to since I had no one at the moment.

The phone rang, and Joe answered it. Before I said anything, he told me he couldn't talk, then hung up. The one person I could count on abandoned me like everyone else in my life.

I set the phone down and went out back, walking towards the beach. I found a spot and took a seat. Why did I allow myself to get close to anyone? Why did I break rule number two? It didn't matter anymore. I only have to finish out the rest of the week and next week, with or without Vincent.

The next day, I read since I'm alone and have no place to go. What else was there to do? He took the car keys so I couldn't use the car. I have no money, so it wasn't like I could go to town, not that I wanted to. So reading it is.

I finished Little Women, then picked out another book. I picked To Kill A Mockingbird. I walked over to the chair in the den and sat down, curling up with the book. I read for a while until my stomach growled.

I set the book down and walked into the kitchen, pulling out stuff to make a sandwich. Once I finished, I sat down and ate. Then I finished cleaning up before going back to my book.

I walked out of the kitchen as I walked back to the den, then I stopped. I turned around and stood there, speechless.