Something is off

Lacey

I got ready to go to the beach when Vincent arrived back. I packed a picnic basket of fresh things. I heard the door open with a bang and footsteps thumping against the floor. What in the hell?

I walked out of the kitchen through the living room as I saw Cruz enter.

"Cruz?" I looked at him, confused.

"Sorry, Miss Powell, Vincent took ill during his meeting. He has to postpone the day's outing," he answered as he walked upstairs.

I stood there, confused. Vincent was okay this morning. He even seemed energetic and enthusiastic about going to the beach. I unpacked the basket and found a book to read.

Vincent

The bathroom door opened and closed as I heaved into the toilet. Cruz locked it and ran water to hide the sounds from Lacey. I kept heaving until I had nothing left in my stomach.

I flushed the toilet as I sat down on the floor, shaking. Cruz grabbed a hand towel and wet it, then cleaned up my face. I looked at him as he continued to help me.

"Where's Lacey?" I asked him.

"Downstairs," he answered.

"You didn't tell her what happened, did you?" I looked at him as he didn't make eye contact.

"I said you took ill during your meeting. I haven't informed Miss Powell of anything further," he assured me.

"Good," I replied as he helped me up and to my room. Once he got me into bed, I fell asleep.

Lacey

Cruz emerged a while later and left. I set the book I'm reading down as I rose from the couch. I walked up the stairs to Vincent's room. I tapped on the door, but I didn't get a response.

Opening the door, I found Vincent asleep in the bed. He must have caught a stomach bug. I let him sleep and closed the door.

I'm sure I could keep myself busy while he rested. I checked out the beach house, looking around it. Besides pictures and paintings, books adorned bookshelves. I didn't notice a TV at the beach house. He must not watch much television.

I found myself in a den looking around. It has a desk and chair, along with a recliner and more books. Vincent must have read a lot since he has many classics.

I pulled out one and looked at it, Little Women by Louisa May Alcott. I remember this book in high school. I didn't read very well because I have a comprehension problem. The teachers were atrocious, and it wasn't like I had parents who helped me.

I struggled in school, and classmates treated me like I was stupid. I always hated school because of it. When Rafe found out, he worked with me with reading. He helped me understand the content better, along with the characters.

I sat down in the recliner and started reading Little Women. At some point, I fell asleep while reading it.

Vincent

I awoke from sleeping and went downstairs to have something light. It was late, and I checked on Lacey but found her not in her room while her bed was still made. Panic sets in me. What if she left? Our month wasn't over, and I needed her here.

I went downstairs and searched the beach house with worry until I saw the light on in the den. I walked into the room to find her curled up in the recliner, sleeping.

I walked over to her and noticed she held a copy of Little Women. I lifted her arm, saving her page. I removed the book, setting it on the stand next to her. Then I reached under her and scooped her up. She snuggled into me as I looked down, kissing the top of her head. She was still here, making me relieved.

I carried her up to her room and laid her down on the bed. I picked up a blanket and laid it over her while she slept. I leaned over and kissed her forehead. "Sweet dreams, my Luv."

I stood and exited her room as I went back downstairs to make something to eat. I decided on soup. Once I finished, I sat down at the table and ate. Today was a rough day. Usually, I could handle it, but not today. I was lucky I could make it back.

All I could think of was seeing Lacey. I know we have an agreement, but I didn't want to think about when our time ended. Being here with her felt different, but right.

I tried to think of reasons for her to stay longer, but they eluded me. No matter what I came up with, it all ended the same way with her leaving. The thought bothered me.

Once I finished eating, I placed my bowl in the sink along with my silverware. I went back upstairs and walked to my bedroom, changing into pajamas. I looked at my bed and slept someplace else.

Lacey

As I slept, my door opened with a creak. There was a creaking sound of the floorboards as I felt the bed move, then someone snuggles up behind me. I inched into them as I fell into a deep slumber. I didn't need to question it. I already knew.

I awoke the next day as I felt someone pepper my face with kisses. I opened an eye and looked at Vincent, who was smiling at me.

"Morning," he greeted me.

I looked around, realizing I'm in bed.

"Wait. How did I get from the den to here?" I asked with confusion, lacing my tone.

"I got up to eat something last night and found you asleep in the den. I brought you up here and put you to bed," he answered as I looked at him.

"I guess you're feeling better?" I looked at him.

"Yeah, it must have been something I ate at the meeting," he responded as I looked at him. Something nagged at me about his answer, but I left it alone. If Vincent wanted to tell me, he would. If he didn't, then that was his choice.

I yawned as I stretched.

"I wasn't aware you like to read," he remarked with surprise laced in his tone.

I sat up and looked at him as he looked up at me.

"In high school, I had difficulty reading. Since no one helped me, I got by the best that I could. Once I became an escort and became close to Rafe, he helped me learn better while understanding what I read. After that, I read anything I could get my hands on," I replied as he looked at me.

"Is this Rafe an ex or something?" His question had a hint of jealousy to it.

I chuckled. "No, Rafe is the one who recruited me to become an escort. Between him and Joe, they were the only friends I had."

"Who's Joe? Is he an ex?" Vincent questioned me again.

"If you consider a big burly man close to fifty, married with children an ex. Sure, let's go with that," I retorted while rolling my eyes and shaking my head at him.

"I'm making sure I won't have to worry about some crazy ex trying to hunt you down during our time together," he reminded me.

"Vincent, I honor my commitments. I agreed to thirty days with you. That does not mean I'm associating with anyone else," I reassured him.

"Good, because I prefer my agreements to stay intact without interruptions," he responded. I looked at him. He looked at the clock. "I have to get ready. When I get back, we'll have the day we were to have yesterday."

He leaned over and gave me a quick kiss before getting up and leaving the room.

"Make sure you eat nothing at the meeting!" I yelled after him as I heard the shower turn on. I'll wait to pack a picnic lunch until after he returns. Who knew if he would eat something that would make him ill?

I lay back down and fell back asleep. I needed sleep before our excursion on the beach today.