Trouble

Lacey

I stood there as John stood in the living room. I finally found my voice. "Can I help you?"

"Considering your boyfriend ruined my life, I'll return the favor," he said as I stood there. I watched as he looked around the beach house. "Not exactly what I pictured someone like Vincent Powers living in, but I guess we all have secrets, now don't we?"

I watched as he walked around and looked at things.

"I thought it was cute that a whore like you landed a man like him even though we all know that's complete bullshit. After our encounter, I arrived at my office to find out Vincent took my company from me, leaving me broke. So, I watched and waited. One day, you wouldn't have him to protect you, and I was right." He smirked at me.

I needed to get out of here. I inched my way to the front door until he blocked it. Remembering what Joe taught me, I used self-defense on him by kneeing him in the nuts. That only pissed him off more.

I tried to make a run for it to the back door, only to have him tackled to the floor. John got me pinned as he sat on top of me, hauling off and hitting me across the face.

"Get off of me!" I screamed as I fought with him. He hauled off and hit me again as I struggled with him.

"Shut up, you damn whore!" He barked as he pinned me down when I heard the zipper. Oh god, shut it out like before with the clients. Let him do whatever he wants, and you'll survive. Act like an escort.

He ripped at my panties as I felt him at my entrance until someone yanked him off of me.

"Get off of her!" I heard someone shout.

I didn't stick around to see what happened. I scrambled out of there as I ran through the kitchen, yanking the back door open, and ran out of the beach house.

I ran and stumbled as I heard yelling behind me. I didn't look back as I ran until I tripped and fell. Someone caught me as I fought the person. "Get away from me!"

"Lacey! It's me!" I heard the person shout as I opened my eyes to see Vincent in front of me. I was shaking and grabbed hold of him. He wrapped his arms around me while stroking my hair. "You're safe," he comforted me. I said nothing to him but clung to him.

Vincent

When I came back to the beach house and found that bastard on Lacey, I wanted to kill him. After pulling him off her, she ran. Cruz took over as I chased after her. I only caught her because she tripped and fell.

She fought me, and I didn't blame her. Lacey didn't know it was me, and everything happened so fast. She gripped my shirt as I held her, feeling Lacey shaking. I swear to god I want to kill that bastard.

She finally passed out from shock. I moved my arms, placing them under her as I lifted her, carrying her bridal style back to the house.

"You're safe," I whispered as I carried her to the house. I brought her inside and carried her upstairs, taking her to my room. I laid her down on the bed and moved her hair away from her face. Her nose was bloody, and she had a bruise forming on her cheek.

I sat down next to her as I grabbed a blanket, covering her up with it. I heard footsteps coming up the stairs and down the hallway as Cruz appeared in the doorway.

"I should have never left. What if I hadn't returned when I did?" I asked as I never took my eyes off of her.

"Vincent, you couldn't have known this would happen," he answered as I turned and looked at him.

"I left because I was angry and hurt. Like Lacey, I threw a tantrum and pouted, leaving her in trouble. What kind of man does that?" I questioned him.

"We can ask ourselves all these questions, but it doesn't matter. Do you think John wouldn't have come after her even if you stayed? Vincent, we can't always expect someone's reaction to situations. All we can do is prepare ourselves for the possibility," he told me.

I turned and looked at her. "She was right."

"About?" he inquired.

"I would make a deal to ruin her mother and stepfather because I wanted revenge. She told me no. I refuse to listen to her and treated her cavalierly about it. That's why she left," I responded to him, never taking my eyes off of her.

"Vince, sometimes our tempers flare, and we do things at the moment's heat. It's how you handle it that matters. You can beat yourself up over this or be a man and admit you were wrong. Think about it," he said to me before leaving.

That was the thing; my decisions weren't about me anymore; they affected Lacey in more ways than one. I pulled out my phone and made a call. "Robert, it's Vincent. Kill the deal. I no longer have any interest in it." I hung up and placed my phone on the nightstand as I sat there. I hope she forgives me, or I have lost her forever for my behavior.

Lacey

I awoke startled as I felt someone pull me to them. "Shh, no one will hurt you."

I turned to see Vincent looking at me. I could see the guilt in his expression. He looked at me, remembering the argument and everything that happened afterward.

He opened his mouth, then closed it as I looked at him, then I heard him whispered, "I'm sorry." I reached up and placed my hand on his face. He put his hand on top of mine; then I watched as he cried. I pulled him to me as he held me, burying his head into me.

I held him. It didn't matter who was wrong or right. After last night, none of that mattered. All that mattered was I felt safe.

I sat up in bed as Vincent put an ice pack on my cheek as I hissed from the tenderness I felt. The last time a client struck me, I thought Joe would kill them. It miffed me about Joe, and I still wanted to know where Vincent was.

"Where were you?" I asked him as he looked at me.

"I was at the penthouse, cooling off," he answered as he held the ice pack to my cheek.

"You didn't answer my calls," I told him.

"I know, and I'm sorry. I let my temper get the best of me. Then Cruz knocked some sense into me," he mentioned, causing a giggle to escape my lips.

He gave me a look. "Sorry, go on," I replied, trying to stifle a giggle as he rolled his eyes at me. As I laughed, I placed my hands on his face and kissed him. He pulled me to him as he kissed me back, then stopped.

"We should wait until you feel better than you do," he reminded me.

"It's not the first time someone has been rough with me," I mentioned as he gave me a look. "Sometimes, clients get rough. That's part of being an escort, and I hate it."

"So, why do you keep mentioning it?" He asked.

"It's easier than listening to people degrade you, plus it shuts them up." I shrugged.

"I'll make you a deal since we have a little over a week left. You mention nothing about being an escort, and I'll prove to you why to agree to the fresh arrangement I proposed to you. Deal?" He asked as he held out his hand to me.

"On one condition."

"What's that?" He asked, looking at me.

"You listen to me without dismissing me," I offered as he rubbed his chin and said, "deal." He held out his hand as I shook it.

"What happened to John?" I asked him as he gave me a look. "I don't think I want to know."

"I don't think you want to know," he suggested as I shook my head.

Vincent

I needed to go to my meeting, but I also didn't want to leave Lacey alone. So, I made her come along. While I was busy, I had Cruz take her to Emmy to watch her.

She wasn't happy about it, but I explained it was for her good. We argued about it until Cruz suggested another idea to us. Why did I have a feeling he enjoyed one-upping me? I didn't care as long as she was safe. I needed to get to my meeting.