Tired

Lacey

Later on, I checked on Vincent, and he was sleeping. I left him alone. He needs the rest. I kept myself busy and read a book, which made me think of Joe. I wondered if I called him, he would answer. I wanted to see him.

I picked up the cell phone Vincent gave me and dialed a number. Joe's phone number was the only one I memorized. It rang twice before someone answered.

Hello?

"Joe?" I asked them, making sure it was him.

Lacey?

"Oh, thank God, I'm so glad to hear your voice," I replied with relief.

How are you doing, sweetheart?

"I'm doing good, but I miss you," I answered as I started sniffling, then I started crying.

Lacey, you don't sound right. Talk to me.

I found my composure then said, "I needed to hear your voice. Rafe discarded me," I told him as my voice broke.

I heard him sigh on the other end as I cried more. Joe was the only one to see or listen to me cry. I refuse to let anyone see me broken.

How about we meet and we can talk?

"Are you sure?" I sniffled.

For you, always, right now, you need me, and I'll be there. Give me the address.

"Okay," I uttered. I took a deep breath and gave Joe the address, then hung up the phone. I felt someone touch me, causing me to jump. I turned around to see Vincent standing there looking at me. Shit.

I wiped my eyes and tried to act okay.

"I'm sorry. I know this violated the contract," I explained to Vincent.

"Who were you speaking with on the phone?" He asked me. I looked at him and noticed he wasn't angry. His voice was calm, and his expression was of curiosity.

"I called Joe. He's stopping by to talk to me. I can call him back and tell him not to bother," I offered to hope to smooth over any issue we may have between us.

"That's a splendid idea," he told me. He placed a hand on the back of my head, pulling me to him. He kissed the top of my head before turning around and walking back upstairs. He didn't even argue with me or become angry. I felt confused.

An hour later, there was a knock at the front door. I opened it to see Joe standing there, then stepped outside and hugged him. He hugged me back.

"Hey, kiddo," he greeted me.

"Hey Joe," I greeted him back as I hugged him. I missed his hugs. They were comforting.

We let go of each other, and he looked at me. "Let's talk."

"Okay, but let's go out on the back deck. Vincent is sleeping. He caught a bug of some sort," I mentioned as he nodded.

I led him into the house, and he followed me through it to the kitchen to the back door. We stepped out onto the back deck, and I closed the door behind us. We walked over to the railing and leaned into it.

"What happened, Lacey?" He asked me out of concern.

"I ran into Rafe with Vincent, and he introduced me to his girlfriend," I answered as I sighed.

Joe gave me a look.

"I know, I know, I should have listened to you about him. You told me if I allowed myself to feel anything for him, I would only end up getting my heart broke," I reminded him. I stood there, playing with my hands.