Chapter Fifty Eight

*Connor’s POV*

I can still see her, sat on the bench outside the hospital, crying. It broke my heart, still hurts every time I even think of her. How could I be so mean to her? Did I evem cheat on her?

  After I asked her to love me again, she ran away, she hasn’t come to visit and I don’t even get a phone call. I’ve seen James once but he refused to visit me because of the pain I caused Ava, nobody understands that I can’t remember any of it.

   The deep feeling of regret sitting in the pit of my stomach is heavy, I don’t know why it’s there or what I did but it won’t go away.

  I spoke to my doctor, she said that anything can trigger my memory. It could be a song, person or object and all of my memory will return.

The police are still trying to work out how the fire broke out, they’re sure it wasn’t an accident but it’s impossible for it to have been me to set it.

Days and weeks go by but I still sit here, waiting for her to walk into my room. It never happened and today is the same.

“Good afternoon Connor, here’s your lunch, I’ll be back in an hour to collect the plates”

“Thanks Lucy” Lucy was one of the nurses who’s helped me get through this.

Today’s lunch was the same as last weeks, and the week before that, and that. It’s a simple tomato soup, some bread on the side and orange juice.

The phone on the side of my bed began to vibrate, I dropped my spoon and picked up the phone, pressing answer.

“Hello”

“Daddy”

“Hi, Alex” lately Alex has been ringing me every three days to tell me how school’s going or about the food he had that day.

“Mummy bought be a new bike”

“That’s great! Can you ride it?”

“Yeah, daddy James taught me”

“That’s good then, hopefully soon I’ll be able to see you ride it”

“Yeah”

“Okay, well love you Alex”

“Love you too daddy”

The line went dead, a smile crept on my face, making my heart warm.

*Ava’s POV*

“I can do it” Alex cheered, he’d only just learnt to ride the bike but I have to admit he was actually really good.

“Be careful” he rode it into the road, thankfully we didn’t live on a busy road so it was quite safe.

I turned around, searching for James, he was leant against the door frame, smiling at me.

I walked up to him and wrapped my arms around his lower torso, smiling back at him.

Before anything else could happen, the sound of screaming broke me from my happiness, I turned back to where Alex was, he was now lying under a car, the driver quickly rushed out the car and to Alex’s side.

  I let go of James and ran to Alex, his body was still and his eyes slowly closed.

“Alex” I screamed, James rang an ambulance.

“I didn’t see him, he just came out of nowhere” the driver tried to apologise.

“Omg” I cried.  

The ambulance soon came and took me and Alex to the hospital. Once we were in the hospital he left my side and was rushed straight into A & E.

Before I knew what I was doing I was walking up the wards for head injury’s, along the corridors before I finally found Connor’s room.

I rushed inside, crying.

“Ava?” he sat up, looking confused and then worried.

“Alex, he’s” I tried to breathe but the words were flowing too quickly.

“He’s what?”

“He got knocked down, he’s been rushed away” I sobbed harder.

Connor stood from the chair he was sat in and over to my side, wrapped himself around me.

I cried into his shoulder, trying to contain myself, it didn’t work.