He is in Denial

"Remember, Jungkook. What will you say when Jimin asks about Taehyung?" He said to himself as he walked towards class.

"I'm sorry Jimin. I don't think he likes you." Jungkook actually grinned as he thought that and walked inside. It was Biology class. He did not have Biology with Jimin so he was safe.

Jungkook waited for Taehyung to come but he kept waiting. Taehyung never came to class.

"Maybe he is late as always..." Jungkook thought. Classes went by, and it was lunch. Taehyung still wasn't here.

"Something came up, probably." Jungkook walked towards his friends as they sat in the cafeteria. As usual, the others left earlier and by the end, only Jimin and Jungkook were there.

Jungkook took the opportunity to confirm Jimin's situation, "So, how was the talk with Taehyung yesterday?" He asked. He couldn't stop smiling.

He already had his sympathetic response ready. "Oh, I'm so sorry, Jimin. I almost thought he liked you. Maybe you just have to move on..."

But he was surprised when Jimin replied, "It was pretty good. I think he likes me."

Jungkook almost choked on his food.

"Really?" He managed to say, "Did he say he wanted to get back together?"

Whereas, his mind was going, "How the hell was it good?"

"Not exactly. But he was getting there. I could see it in his eyes." Jimin calmly said. How could this be? Taehyung literally told Jungkook that he did not like Jimin anymore...

"Well, it didn't seem so when he spoke to me yesterday..." Jungkook spoke up a little too quickly. He immediately regretted his decision as it came out ruder than he had expected.

"What did he say to you?" Jimin asked curiously.

"Nothing, just that he has moved on, I guess?" Jungkook hesitated.

"It's just as I thought," Jimin said cheerfully, much to the surprise of Jungkook, "He is in denial."

"Denial?"

"Yeah. He always does that. I know him very well. If he says that he doesn't like something, he actually likes it a lot. Even with our relationship, I think he is doing the same." Jimin explained.

"What the heck?" Jungkook thought.

The day passed quickly and glumly, in contrast to the first half of it. Jungkook was in thoughts again. "Ugh. Maybe Jimin is right... and Taehyung still likes him... After all, he is the one who knows him better than me."

...

Later that day,

Jungkook was working in the diner with the others.

"Where is Taehyung? It is too late. We have to open now." Jungkook said.

"I don't know, hyung. He usually comes by this time..."

They continued with their work and there was still no sign of Taehyung. Jungkook wondered why he hadn't come yet. "He wasn't even there in school today." He thought.

Jungkook was lost in his thoughts when Soobin called.

"A chocolate milkshake and chicken nuggets!" He yelled.

Jungkook didn't answer.

"Hyung!" He said again.

"Hyung!"

"I'm sorry, what?" Jungkook looked up.

"The order!" He said.

"Oh yeah. Okay. I am on it." With that he resumed his work. The boys observed that Jungkook was acting weird.

"Hyung, you seem odd today.." Beomgyu said.

"No, I am not odd. I am fine," he said clearly.

"Are you sad that V hyung isn't here yet?" Yeonjun asked him as he gave him the tray.

"What? No," Jungkook said way to quickly, "Order 228, Cheese Burger, Fries and Spicy Wings- 3pc."

"Come on, hyung. We know you like him," Soobin smiled.

"How does it matter anyway? He doesn't seem to like me..." Jungkook sadly mumbled.

"Wait what?" The boys squealed.

"Nothing. I don't like him-" Jungkook was interrupted by the entry of Baekhyun. He walked around the diner to make sure how everyone was doing. He then walked up to the kitchen.

"How are you all doing?" He asked.

All of them nodded as if saying yes. He smiled and turned around to walk away. Jungkook took the chance to ask him about Taehyung,
"Taehyung isn't here today. Do you know anything about it?"

"Uh, yes." Baekhyun answered, "He called up some time back. He is sick with cold and fever. He asked for a leave today." With that, he left them.

"Fever?" Jungkook thought, "It must be very bad since Taehyung didn't even show up at school today."

"I knew this was going to happen," Yeonjun then caught Jungkook's attention. "I told him that he would catch a cold if he went in the rain without an umbrella yesterday."

"Wait. He left without an umbrella?" Jungkook asked.

"Yeah. He said he didn't have one."

Jungkook's memory clicked. He had given his umbrella to Jungkook! Why did he do that? Didn't he say that he had an extra umbrella?

"It's my fault. He gave his umbrella to me and got wet in the rain..."Jungkook thought.

"Did he say something to you?" Yeonjun asked Jungkook.

"Uhm. No, he didn't..." He replied. He was worried about Taehyung. Had he taken any medicine? Did he need anything? After all, he did live in a temporary shack...

After his shift was over, Jungkook tried calling Taehyung on his phone. He did not pick up. Jungkook was more worried than ever now. "One more time..." he said as he dialed Taehyung's phone number. After some time of ringing, Jungkook was about to end the call, when he suddenly heard a dreary voice.

"Hello?" He could barely recognize Taehyung's voice that was so gruff now.

"Taehyung?"