George Harrison - Something

You were the girl everyone liked, the girl in dark denim jacket. You were about 17 when you first met three of the most influential men the world has every know. Paul McCartney, John Lennon and George Harrison.

Paul and John were a little older than you but George was your age and in some of your classes. Though, the extent of your connection was some stolen glances. You didn't know then but George liked the girl in the dark denim jacket. He usually kept his head down so that no one saw this reaction whenever you spoke but a few people knew. And they weren't the quietest people in the world.

"I mean, I can see why you fancy her but be realistic, George!"

"It's not just about how she looks."

"Ooh, got something about her, has she? Bit clever, is she? A bit of a spitfire?" John teased, elbowing him.

"Yeah. Something."

-

You'd been in an English class when you first properly spoke to George. He never seemed to like talking to you whenever you were around mutual friends, so you'd given up early on. Today though, you thought it was worth striking up a conversation. Of course, he relished in something more than those polite smiles and nods but George was also painfully shy at the best of times.

"George, aren't your band playing at The Cavern tonight?" You spoke easily as you leant from your desk over to his.

Just play it cool, he thought. Be like John. Actually no don't be like John, Jesus Christ, don't be like John. He frowned at himself but it appeared as if he was he was frowning at her questions. He looked terribly unfriendly.

"Yeah, why?" His voice came out bored and a bit snappy. He'd ruined it already.

"Me 'n Felicity were thinking of going for a drink and catching some of your music." She smiled, unfazed by his initial disposition. George rejoiced at this chance to bring it back. Be charming and tell her that he would see her there.

"You're not old enough to get served." Oh for- Why would he say that? He scolded himself for every word. Why couldn't he have just smiled at her? Why did he have to be so unfriendly. Picking up on George's unintentional disinterest for the conversation, you wrapped it up.

"Right. Well, good luck." You sat back up in your seat and faced the front, feeling a little let down. You had always quite liked the boy, he was shy but seeing him mess around with his friends always brought a smile to your face.

George looked at you throughout the lesson. You caught his stare at one point and called him out.

"Do you need the answer or something?"

"What?"

"What number are you on? Can I help? You keep looking at me like you expect me to say or do something." Yeah, anything. You could do anything and I'd look at you. He thought.

"No." Was as he got out.

The rest of the class went by quickly. In fact the rest of the day did. When you left school in the afternoon, him and his friends were standing by the gate and all of them watched you leave and whispered to each other. You told yourself that they were just laughing at something else and happened to point in your directions. But the excuses were a reach.

-

You and Felicity finally managed to get into the Cavern Club and looked around to see who you could recognise. You definitely recognised the band. Everyone knew those boys around here, they were getting to be local legends.

"Oh my God, look at them! They look like the real deal, don't they?"

"Well they might be, who knows what they're gonna do next." You knew the boys booked The Cavern often but other clubs in the city were starting to ask about them. Soon they'd get scouted while playing at the right place at the right time. It was how you 'made it big' over here.