Brian May - Favourite

You were attending Imperial College. You were studying Astrophysics (sound familiar?). It was your first year and you'd been there long enough to establish some friends and all. Your closest being Lexi. Lexi was great, she struggled a little with deadlines and understanding parts of the course that she hadn't any interest in but you never minded helping.

Your class were told that a third year student was to be teaching you for a while, as his university placement.

"Ooh. Do you think he'll be cute?" Your friend was so easily distracted to say she was so clever but it made her very likeable. Lexi was, like yourself, just glad she got in and wasn't trying to be the top of the class.

"Lexi, really?"

The two of you sat in a middle row and often talked and laughed quietly. The teacher usually let it go because you were often helping Lexi and the two of you were 'very nice girls'. In fact, the whole class had a good relationship with that professor. When the student teacher came to your class, you recognised him. Most people did, he was very recognisable. It was his hair that stood out. And the fact that his band played around the local clubs.

"I'm Brian. I'm... going to be teaching your class for a bit." Was all he said before beginning his planned lesson.

He really knew what he was talking about so that was good. But he clearly didn't want to teach. He was slightly awkward and uncomfortable in front of people who were looking at him and only him.

"Do you think he's cute? I do." Lexi whispered.

"Are you even taking notes? You've hardly written a thing." You said back in your hushed voice. It was true, Lexi had managed the date and about three lines of notes. No doubt she would have to borrow some from you but that was okay, it wasn't like she never helped you out when you happened to miss class or something. That and she was the only one of your friends that could drive and took you basically anywhere.

"I can't concentrate." She admitted. Shaking your head at her, you look back to the front, where the student teacher was staring right at you.

"Is there a problem?" He asked. Maybe the two of you had been louder than you thought but it was him calling you out that had the whole class was looking at you. It was awfully embarrassing so you tried to dismiss it.

"No. Sorry." You were taken aback by his tone but quickly returned to writing.

"This is going to be on your exams, you know."

"Yeah, sorry, I know."

"So you could really do with listening." This was the most he'd spoken about anything other than the lesson. You exchanged a look with a boy in front of you that had turned around that said 'what's his problem?'

"I was." You defended, quieter and slightly more defeated. The three pages of notes that you'd gotten proved it but he couldn't see that.

"Didn't seem like it. Okay then; let's check, what are the main source of Interplanetary Dust particles?"

There are some teasing "Ooh"s from your classmates as they get riled up for the show. Was he challenging you? If he wanted to play that game, you'd let him have it. Thing is, you were clever. Very clever. And you absolutely weren't going to let some curly headed third year show you up.

"Asteroid collisions, cometary activity and collisions in the inner Solar System, Kuiper belt collisions, and interstellar medium grains. If you believe the relative contributions, that is."