t w e n t y s e v e n

I WAS SWIMMING faster and harder than I normally do

I WAS SWIMMING faster and harder than I normally do. I was pushing myself further and doing more laps than usual. It was the easiest way to clear my head. All I had to focus on was the water, my strokes and myself. I was going back and further, lap after lap, without stopping. 

And when I finally did, I thought i was going to pass out. I rest my arms on the side of the pull, placing my forehead against my hands and breathing heavily. It was almost eleven and the pool was void of any other person. It was my favourite time to come swimming. 

The sound of hands clapping booms through the interior of the natatorium. I glance up instantly, slightly startled to see Chase slowly walking along the side of the pool with his usual smirk plastered across his lips. 

I laugh at him, "What are you doing here?" 

"Here's a better question, what you are doing here? Swimming at half ten to eleven?" Chase question as he crouches down in front of me. I rest my chin on my hand as I stare up at him. 

"As my asshole of a roommate once said, I needed to blow off some steam." I repeat as Chase chuckles, amused at my little dig. He glances around quickly and clasps his hands together, reaming crouched low to the ground. 

"Vera brought over some spare sheets as well as a few pillows and a comforters while you were gone." Chase explains as I smile softly at my best friend. Vera, Penn and I spent the entire afternoon cleaning up my room. It was a struggle but we finally did it in the end, "She said you can use them until the weekend because apparently you're going to shop till you drop. Her words, not mine." 

"Yup, that sounds like V." I laugh lightly to myself as I push off the inner wall of the pool and float back, stretching my arms out beside me, "Jump in Everett. The water's warm."

Chase chuckles as he stands up, pulling his leather jacket from his body and dropping it to the ground as he kicks off his shoes and socks. His shirt is the next to go and I sink lower into the water, my eyes just above the surface as I shamelessly watch Chase pulls his shirt off his body. I always enjoyed looking at his tattoos. 

Even though they scream danger and run, I was drawn to them and I wanted to reach out and touch them. 

Chase makes a running start towards the pool before curling up and cannonballing into the water. It splashes around widely and a large wave slaps me in the face. 

I was laughing uncontrollably as he bursts to the surface, shaking his head as he whips his wet hair out of his face. He spots me and begins laughing as well. He glides across the water towards me and stops a few inches away. 

"Hi." I giggle at him. 

Chase smiles widely as he stares at me. The blue light reflecting off the water and the light reflecting from his hazel eyes mixed together so gorgeously and I was speechless just gazing at him like a total dork. We tread water for a few minutes while facing each other.