t w e n t y n i n e

TO BE HONEST, I was just slightly nervous for my date with Luke

TO BE HONEST, I was just slightly nervous for my date with Luke. Okay, fuck that understatement of the damn year. I was an anxious, nervous wreck. I didn't even bother with eyeliner my hands were that shaky. 

I don't really know why I was nervous. Maybe because I know I'll mess up and probably end up vomitting in his lap or something and he'll never talk to me again. My ninth grade self would say that's a true story. 

I was smoothing down my dress for the billionth time when I heard a soft knock at my door. I stand from my desk chair, grabbing Vera's leather jacket, because it's the fanciest thing I own, and my black wool coat because it's really fucking cold outside. 

I crack open the door, seeing a smiling Luke standing there, looking very dapper in a navy blue button up and black slacks. He held two small sunflowers in his hand and I glance at them suspiciously. 

"Did you get those from the garden at Arlington?" I question as I open the door wider. 

"Yup," Luke nods as he glances down at the flowers, "I also had to out run three screaming girls but it was worth it." 

He hands them to me, the two stalks wrapped in a red ribbon and I softly take them, "Thanks."

I quickly run back inside and place them in the half empty water bottle sitting on my desk.

"Is Chase not here?" Luke questions and I turn back to see him standing in the door way, his head almost touching the top of the frame, and he was staring at Chase's side of the room. 

"No. I haven't seen him all day either." I shrug as I walk out into the hall. I close the door behind me and struggle to lock it once more. After a swift kick, it finally works and I smile up at Luke awkwardly, "Shall we go?" 

"We shall." Luke bows, gesturing his arm to the side.

"Dork." I laugh at him jokingly as he chuckles alongside me. 

We make small talk on the way to the student parking lot. I always felt so comfortable talking to Luke, like I could literally talk about puppies eating rainbow sherbet and he'd listen and talk back like it was the most interesting topic on the planet. 

Luke's car was a vivid red Ford Focus and he opens the door foor me as we near it. I jump in and soon we were on our way to a cute little Italian restaurant called Bella Mia. 

The weather had calmed down after the rainstorm this morning and the clouds were starting to clear. We sit outside by the fireplace to watch the beautiful sunset. Luke pulls my seat out for me and I started wondering if he's taken ettiqute classes for this. 

"I absoloutely love Italian." I mutter as I open the food menu. I glance over the top at Luke, "I haven't eaten since breakfast to build up an apetite." 

"For a girl that visits the dining hall so much that she basically lives there, that must've been hard." Luke jokes as I tilt my head back and laugh because it was so damn true, "Thank you for your sacrifice, Hayden."