Part 29

In the mansion, two maids were preparing for the crowning of the new zuruka king. Engaged in banter, the two gossiped of the latest news between each other.

When Sam walked past them with a serious face, not seeming happy at all at the happy occasion.

" I heard that the lord lost his bounded soul"

" He didn't lose it, the soul escaped. I also heard that the lord loved the woman in the gem."

"Don't believe those rumours ,Vicky, the lord needed a good soul of her caliber to have enough power to fight against the other clans."

With a disbelieving expression Vicky replied : " I'm not so sure about that. The lord loved to eat her emotions. I heard from Father that emotions from the people they love have an intoxicating taste to the Zuruka.."

" Besides, haven't you heard that the body of the soul was preserved in a block of ice and is hidden somewhere in this mansion. What were they going to do with that useless body?"

Hearing this the other maid shuddered, " oh I hope that they do something about that. I would not like for the smell of rot to pervade the place"

Vicky was about to retort when they were interrupted by a stern voice: " Stop lazing around and do your work."

" Miss Annie" the maids turned around and replied in unison.

Annie looked at them sternly before going off and inspecting the other maids.

When Annie was out of ear shot the maid whispered to Vicky: " I think Annie is the one that the lord truly loves. I stumbled onto them kissing each other in his bedroom."

Sam lied on his bed staring at the red gem that he was dangling on his hands. The cracks on its surface marring it's previous beauty, yet Sam caressed it like it was the most precious treasure in the world.