o n e

Frank's Timetable ^

Brendon slammed his hands down on Frank's shoulders, successfully startling the poor boy awake as he slid in to the seat next to him. "Hello, princess." He greeted far too cheerfully for anyone's liking.

In Frank's opinion, it was way too early in the morning for basic manners and human decency. Tugging his sleeves over his hands and folding his arms on the table, Frank didn't bother fighting off the urge to sleep.

Ignoring Frank's obvious protest to communication, Brendon continued anyway because he had no one else in their photography class to talk to. "Guess what I did over the holidays."

"Went to lame parties with even lamer people?" Frank's voice came out muffled, tone laced with disinterest. He didn't want to have to listen to another one of Brendon's one night stands.

An annoyed expression flashed across his features. "No." He scowled, dumping his bag on the table. "For your information, I am now in a steady relationship."

Furrowing his brows, he slowly turned his head, looking sceptically up at his best friend, who had now gained his attention successfully. "Really?"

"Don't be so surprised. It's been known to happen."

"With who? I need witnesses." Frank challenged, leaning back in his seat to stare at the clock above the whiteboard. They were always at least fifteen minutes early to class every day. The main hall was too crowded, so they resided upstairs in the art rooms.

"Oh, you know him." Brendon smirked. "So, guess."

"I'm tired."

"Guess."

"No."

"Fine. I won't tell you." Brendon huffed, folding his arms across his chest.

It was Frank's turn to smirk because he knew he wouldn't be able to stay quiet for long. If Brendon had news, he always shared it.

After a while, a huge sigh escaped Brendon's lips. "It's Ryan."

"That narrows it down." Frank said sarcastically, rolling his eyes.

Three minutes left until the school day started.

"Ryan, Ryan Ross. How many Ryan's do you know?" Brendon retorted, knowing full well that Frank barely knew anyone in their year yet. To be fair, Frank had only started at the school four months ago.

The bell shrieked, deafening them and properly jolting Frank, who was, for once, thankful for the interruption because he hadn't thought of a snarky comment for a reply.

Almost immediately, students began piling in through the doors to the art rooms, half of them going to room 169b, which was adjoining to their art room, 169a. In the middle of the two art rooms was a divider, which was a small area with two computers in it and a big enough desk for Frank to work on. He hated being in a class full of people he didn't know, so for lessons he got the gist of what they were going to be doing, then hurried off to the middle room where no one could see, hear or speak to him. That was just how he liked it.

Mr Wright entered the classroom after everyone else as he usually did; allowing students to race to get there first. The teacher was almost always late. Regardless, he was most people's favourite teacher as he was laid back in lessons, but could still yell like hell if he wanted to. So far, Frank hadn't witnessed that this year.

-

All through the lesson, Frank nearly kept drifting off. He was isolated in the middle room and had no one to keep him from falling asleep.

-

"School starts way too early." He muttered, walking back over to Brendon from his private hideout, directing his hatred for mornings at his best friend. He slung his bag over his shoulder and stood next to him, throwing his work down on the table.

"But if it started at, like. . . Eleven, it means we wouldn't get to go home until, like, half five." He countered, stuffing his work sheets in to a folder. And because he was so nice, he put away Frank's work too, which the other boy was grateful for.

"I don't care. It's not like I go out with friends after school like you do. It's as if you forget I have no social life." Frank smiled sarcastically, kicking a chair under the desk.

The chattering amongst others simmered down as Mr Wright gestured with his hands for them all to stop talking.

Reluctantly, Brendon shut his mouth before he could utter another word -a rare occurrence for him, really.

"As you all know, the homework is due in tomorrow."

Everyone sighed.

Eyes wide, Frank's face dropped and he ran his hands down his face. "Shit." He breathed, having completely forgotten about their analysis essay.

Brendon had too. "We'll do it at lunch." He whispered, receiving a nod in response.

[Published 16 April 2019]