mr way

Four days in to school after the holidays and Frank already wanted another one. It was too much; they were piling loads of work on top of them in such a short period of time. In addition, his art teacher hadn't even shown up and they'd had substitute teachers, who didn't really give a damn and were happy to waste fifty minutes -in both lessons- doing nothing important.

Despite the fact Frank was rather lazy, he actually kind of wanted to do well this year.

Already in the art room for his next class, Frank was kind of looking forward to another art lesson where he could sit and listen to music. There'd been no one around as usual, so he'd eaten lunch in the art department, alone. As usual.

Wandering in to the middle room, he dumped his bag on the floor, scattered his stationery on the desk and got a playlist ready on his phone. He shoved the device in his pocket, then went back in to 169a to gather his artwork from his folder when he stopped dead in his tracks. Apparently someone had teleported in because they weren't there a minute ago.

Taking a deep breath, Frank just slowly edged over to the shelf where the folders were stored and got his own, careful not to make a noise. Successfully grabbing his work, Frank scurried out, but was inevitably stopped.

"Excuse me?"

Squeezing his eyes shut, a defeated sigh escaped his lips and he pivoted on his heel, flashing his best fake smile. "Yes?"

The man that stood there seemed tense, though he tried to cover it up with a nervous smile. Shaking slightly, he tucked his unruly curls behind his ear, but they just fell back in to those hazel eyes.

Before properly introducing himself, he sorted the papers on the desk and adjusted his tie, which remained crooked anyway. The top buttons of his white shirt were undone.

Clearing his throat, he asked, "Are you in this art class next?"

Frank nodded, hugging his folder to his chest. His eyes darted to the floor, but they couldn't help steal a glance every time the man broke his gaze.

"That's great." He beamed, stuffing his hands in the pockets of his worn jeans, which complimented the loose denim jacket he sported perfectly. "I'm Mr Way, your new art teacher."

Frank returned the anxious smile, biting his lip. Swallowing the lump in his throat, he shuffled on the spot; not too great at meeting new people. When he finally gathered the courage to actually look at him, he noticed the roots of his hair were dyed a teal colour. Maybe it was intentional, or a mistake, either way, Frank thought it suited him weirdly.

"Hey." Frank managed awkwardly, feeling as though he should shake his hand, but refrained in case it was too formal. "I'm Frank. . . Iero. Nice to meet you, Mr Way."

Mr Way glanced to where Frank was headed, tilting his head to the side a little. "Do you usually work in there for these lessons?"

"Yeah." A pang of anxiety tugged at his heart strings. "My last teacher let me. Am-am I not allowed-?"

"Oh, no, don't worry." Mr Way waved a hand dismissively. "I won't force you to work with the others if that's what you're used to. . . But I'm afraid I will need you to come in here while I explain your assignment for this year."

Letting out a huge breath of relief, Frank nodded once in understanding. "Okay, thank you." His shoulders slouched as he calmed down.

The bell screamed above their heads, causing them both to jump.

Reality suddenly dawned on Mr Way, a fearful expression taking control of his delicate features. "This is my first time teaching. Ever. Do you-do you think I'll do well? Is this a chaotic class?" Taking deep, steady breaths, he shot a fearful glance at Frank, who hoped he was smiling reassuringly.