f o u r t e e n

Keeping on top of school work, his job and his nagging parents, Frank's already small social life had begun to disintegrate. Although they had art, music and English together, he hadn't been able to talk to Brendon since their brief video chat.

Without Brendon there, Frank couldn't exactly say he even had a social life, which did not go down well with his parents, especially his mother because, for some reason, she wanted to be as invested in his life as he was. She'd complained when he told her he hadn't socialised with another human being in over a week –unless his art teacher counted. But he wasn't about to explain to his mother the weird friendship he and Gerard were currently holding.

Unfortunately, it was school again but this had been the first time Frank had been excited to go in on a Monday –only because he knew he was with Brendon in English and they'd have a chance to talk.

Sure enough, as the bell went, Brendon hurried in to the English room, careful to dodge stray chairs as he weaved his way over to Frank, who smiled.

"Hey."

"Hey, princess." Brendon sighed as he slumped beside him, dumping his bag on the table with a dull thud.

Furrowing his brows, Frank noticed the weariness etched in to his features and his smile faded. "What happened? How did your date go?"

He shook his head. "Does it count as a date if there's a strange third wheel?"

"Dallon really did go?"

"Yup." He popped the 'p'. "And he wasn't the third wheel. I felt like those two were on a date while I sat there and watched my relationship with Ryan wash away."

"Really?" Frank scowled. "Dallon has the nerve to do that to both of you? If I had any confidence or strength, I'd kick his ass for you."

Although Brendon had been pretty much MIA, he was still his best friend and Frank hated to see him like this. Usually Brendon was so bubbly. Though with Dallon breathing down his neck –and now Ryan's- Brendon was mostly in a constant state of worry, concentrating on making sure Ryan didn't find out it was Dallon who had kissed him.

Now that they were 'friends', Brendon was terrified that Dallon would feed Ryan lies, obscuring the truth to turn his boyfriend against him.

"Thanks." Brendon smiled weakly, keeping his gaze fixed on his shoes. He leaned sideways and Frank enveloped him in a hug, running his fingers through Brendon's mop of brown hair.

Everyone else piled in to the classroom, including Mrs Wells, who seemed worn out from struggling through the crowded halls.

"What are you going to do?" Frank muttered quietly. "Do you want to talk about it after school?"

"I can't." Brendon mumbled, pulling away and sitting up straight. The lesson was about to start. "I'm meeting Ryan at his place."

"That's-"

He cut him off with a bitter tone, "And I swear to God if Dallon is gonna be there, I'm gonna cry."

Frank frowned. He felt bad for him and he wanted to comfort him, he did. But he had no idea how to show that on the outside. "I think you should tell Ryan who it was you kissed, and who initiated it first."

"Really?" He looked up at him with wide eyes, and a surprised expression.

"That way Dallon can't get to him first and you'll be telling the truth. He'll trust you a lot more than if he heard it from someone else." He paused as Mrs Wells called his name out on the register, replied "here!" then turned back to Brendon. "Plus, Dallon won't have anything held against you."