worse than nicotine

"Oh, come on, Gee." Frank whined, tugging on Gerard's sleeve, receiving an unimpressed expression.

"No." He grinned smugly, glancing at Frank as he leaned back against the wall.

"Why not?"

"They'll damage your lungs." He shrugged, taking a drag, bleeding it dry mainly just to piss him off.

"And yours, genius. Being older doesn't make you invincible."

"I am compared to you."

"Fuck off." He huffed, shoving his shoulder in hopes of knocking the cigarette from between his fingers. For the past fifteen minutes, Frank had been trying to persuade Gerard to give him a cigarette, but Gerard was being a responsible adult and not letting him.

"Alright," Frank mumbled. "Don't give me one. I'll just have to tell Mr Knight you're smoking on school grounds."

Gerard gasped, looking at him in alarm. "You wouldn't?"

"Try me." He raised his eyebrows. "What'll it be?"

Pressing his lips in to a thin line, he glowered at him and reluctantly passed over the cigarette he was holding. "You can finish this one. But that's it, okay? I don't want you to infect your lungs, it's a disgusting habit."

Frank chuckled, almost letting it slip. "Then why do you smoke?"

"I was young and stupid when I started." He frowned, wrapping his arms around his torso. "I'm actually trying to quit."

Frank cocked his head to the side.

"Don't look at me like that. I said I'm trying to quit. I didn't say I was succeeding."

Frank held his hand out. "Give me the packet."

"What?"

"You're not going to quit while carrying them around, so give it to me. It'll make it easier."

Chewing his lip anxiously, Gerard narrowed his eyes. "Do I have to?"

Frank raised his eyebrows, saying in the most demanding voice he could muster, "Give it to me."

After some intense eye contact, and a staring contest, which Frank eventually won, Gerard heaved a huge sigh and reached in to his back pocket, then slapped the cigarettes in to Frank's palm -a little harder than he meant to.

"I hate you." Gerard pouted, earning a giddy grin from Frank.

"No you don't. You love me."

A blush rose to Gerard's cheeks and he quickly turned away, folding his arms across his chest like a stroppy toddler. "Anyway," he breathed, "You're doing it wrong."

"Doing what wrong?"

"Smoking." Gerard reached over and tried to snatch the cigarette back, but Frank was faster. "Let me show you, at least?"

"No." Frank flicked it to the ground, snuffing it out with his shoe.

Defeated, Gerard just stared.

"Neither of us will smoke."

"How am I supposed to spend my time now? I came out here to relax, and that's gone." He gestured loosely to the killed cigarette. In a smaller voice, he murmured, "Thank you, though."

"You're welcome." Frank smiled. "I just don't want you to get ill, or something." His father used to smoke, and all it ever did was give him a horrendous cough.

Hesitantly, Gerard returned the smile.

"Plus, now you can spend that time with me." He grabbed Gerard's hand, dragging him back in to the building. "I need your help. I can't draw for shit."