t h i r t e e n

Due to the fact Frank had no social life or parents that could also occupy his time, he had taken it upon himself, despite the anxiety screaming in his head, to get a job. He would have preferred one where he didn't have to communicate with other people, but he had been unsuccessful in finding one and had taken a job at a small local cafe.

The atmosphere was warm; dimmed lights casting a yellow glow over the area. There weren't many other workers and the manager seemed polite and understanding of Frank's social anxiety. In the first week at his new job, he was given small tasks where he didn't come in to contact with lots of customers. He often came in late after school to sweep floors or clean tables.

Over time, he was given more substantial tasks, such as jotting down orders. Frank's legs shook every time a person at a table called him over, however, he knew he could have done with building up some confidence, so each time, he swallowed the lump in his throat and tried to make sure he spoke clearly.

On a slow Saturday, Frank had taken the evening shift. For the most part, it was quiet and he'd gotten to sit at one of the back tables, drinking a coffee. Though it was only a few minutes before people started piling in; the majority partly drunk and looking for something to sober them up. With their drunken states, they also brought in noise and crowds, sending Frank's anxiety levels through the roof.

"Frank?" The manager clapped to grab his attention, then motioned for him to begin serving.

Taking a deep breath, Frank nodded and thus began his own personal nightmare.

-

Eventually, as if God had finally answered Frank's prayers, the crowds gradually died down and the noise ceased to a low chatter. There were only a few people left. Frank grabbed the empty mugs from a table near the back and was about to clear them away, when a certain customer caught his eye. They were sat in the very back corner on their laptop, typing away furiously.

Of all people, Frank was least expecting to see his art teacher there. Gerard was hunched over his work, staring intently with half lidded eyes at the screen. A leather jacket was draped over the back of the chair, and he was wearing a thin, sleeveless t-shirt and the tightest jeans Frank had ever seen. They were ripped at the knees (and one rather large rip creeping up the seams of his inner thigh, which Frank tried to avert his gaze from). As usual, Gerard's hair was a mess and Frank suppressed a small chuckle at the sight of him.

Keeping his head down, Frank made his way over. Regardless of the fact he knew Gerard, he was even more nervous to approach him. Though if he didn't, he knew the manager would tell him to anyway -he was the only waiter working so late in the evening.

Taking a deep breath, he cleared his throat. "What can I get you?"

Gerard's chapped lips parted and he slowly tore his eyes away from the screen. "A-" his eyes traveled up to meet Frank's, the words evaporating in to thin air. A redness instantly tinted his cheeks at having been caught all dishevelled outside of school. Putting his hands in his lap, he glanced down briefly, biting his lip.

"Hey." Frank offered a smile, hoping this situation wasn't going to be uncomfortable.

"Hey," He gazed up at him, "I-I'll have a coffee. Black."

The lights above cast hazy shadows upon Gerard's face, making his delicate features seem even softer. The light reflected golden in his eyes, too, and Frank almost stared.

Shifting nervously on his feet, Frank took his lip ring between his teeth before speaking. He found it odd and simply had to voice this out loud. "Is this weird?"

"Only if you make it weird." Gerard returned the smile. Suddenly remembering, he put his knees together so the huge rip in his jeans wasn't visible to Frank, although Frank had already seen it.