t w e n t y t w o

Five days until Christmas, and Frank couldn't have been more miserable -regardless of the cheery atmosphere, festive songs and bright colours. Honestly, the excitement was just kind of draining. He would have been more appreciative, but he'd just learned his parents weren't coming home for Christmas. That was a total bummer.

They'd been out on Christmas Eve last year, but they'd made it home for Christmas day. Apparently, they were meant to make it up to him this year by actually being home, but they were creating a bad track record for themselves. Maybe they wouldn't be home for any holidays next year –or at all.

Brendon was still MIA. Though Frank occasionally spotted him in the halls being all cutesy and dreamy with Ryan. At least their relationship was holding strong. Dallon had supposedly fucked off. If he hadn't, Frank would have heard about it from Brendon. Though he wasn't really in the loop anymore.

Frank was so upset and mopey that he didn't even greet Gerard as he wandered in to the art department. He pretended he didn't see the disappointed look on Gerard's face when he didn't get a reply after smiling. "Hey, Frank." He didn't feel like talking.

Luckily –because Frank didn't particularly want to see Gerard as he couldn't deal with the butterflies that would control him in his sad state- he only had art once today. All through the morning until the bell rang and he'd scampered off to game development, he'd been praying Gerard wouldn't bother him about his mood. Thankfully he didn't.

It wasn't until sixth period that he was disturbed.

After settling down the class, Gerard grabbed Frank's folder for him and headed towards the middle room. He knocked lightly on the door. Frank had his head on the desk, facing away. Even though he had his eyes closed, he was sure his hearing wasn't impaired.

"Frank?" He said quietly, poking his head in.

No answer.

"I know you're not asleep." He sighed, locking the door behind him. It was too silent and the tension hung in the air for quite a while. Gerard didn't dare move any further, treating Frank like some sort of unpredictable wild animal that could dash away at any given moment.

"I am." Frank eventually muttered, peering at Gerard out of the corner of his eye.

It was quite dark, so his features were hidden by shadows, though Frank was certain Gerard's features were laced with concern. Concern he didn't want, but desperately needed because he felt like he had to break down and cry –mostly out of anger. He was pissed at his parents for never being around.

Tentatively, Gerard sat down beside him. "What's wrong?"

Frank caught a strong whiff of cigarettes. He must have been smoking during lunch hour –sneaky bastard. Taking a deep breath, blinking back annoyed tears, he replied, "Nothing. I'm a ray of sunshine, you know that."

"Not today." Gerard raised his eyebrows, leaning his arms on the desk. "You're allowed to be upset."

Frank rolled his eyes. Gerard was right in his line of vision, but he refused to make eye contact, or look anywhere near him. He settled for staring at the oh-so-interesting ceiling.

Hesitantly reaching across the desk, Gerard put his hand over Frank's. "What's wrong? You can tell me."

As if Gerard's comforting contact had any control over Frank's mouth, he sighed and decided to tell him. "My parents aren't gonna be home for Christmas." He sniffed, running his fingers through his hair. "They promised they would this year."

"Oh." Gerard frowned, squeezing Frank's hand gently, causing Frank to divert his attention, eyes fixed on their hands. "Why can't they come home? I-if you don't mind sharing." He added softly.

Frank scoffed, rolling his eyes, which made a tear fall and he wiped it away hastily. "Work stuff."

Gerard let go, and Frank was disappointed at the loss of contact. That was until Gerard stood, taking both of Frank's hands in his own as he pulled him up in to a hug. Gerard wrapped his arms around his waist, and Frank was quick to bury his head in the crook of his neck.

He didn't want Gerard to see him cry, though he let the tears fall anyway. They soaked in to the fabric of Gerard's shirt, but Gerard really couldn't have cared less.

Frank body shook as he tried to suppress sobs, but it didn't work very well. Gerard just held him tight and close, carding his fingers soothingly through Frank's hair.

Gerard sang to him in a whisper. Frank smiled. He didn't think Gerard would have remembered him saying it was currently his favourite song. Meds by Placebo. He had the perfect voice for it.

Frank would have joined in if it weren't for the fact he knew his voice would have wavered, cracked and been a mess altogether. Plus -it was slipping both of their minds- there was a class next door, and Gerard was supposed to be teaching it.

Eventually, Frank swallowed the lump in his throat, finding the courage to speak. He didn't like being so vulnerable. "Thank you."

Pulling away slightly, Gerard looked at him and smiled. "Of course. I don't want you to feel like shit."

Frank chuckled, moving his arms from Gerard's hips to rub his eyes. He wanted Gerard to stay, but he'd see him after school anyway. "You-you have a class to get back to."

Sighing, Gerard huffed, "Yeah, true. Do you want me to stay or. . ?"

Truthfully, Frank usually preferred to be miserable alone to wallow in self-pity, but, apparently, not this time. "Could you? As long as I'm not distracting you from your work."

"I thought I'd be the one distracting you."

"Actually, I still need help painting. Can you show me a few techniques?"

"Sure." Gerard smiled, eyes shining with a brightness he didn't think was possible in a dim room. "I'll get the paint."

"Thank you." He grinned. "Again."

[Published 7 November 2019]