f i v e

As usual, like clockwork, Frank woke up early, trudging in to school in the early hours of the morning. It had become a routine over the past few weeks. The only problem was that he was so tired everyday. It didn't help that he normally fell asleep around one o'clock in the morning. In his defence, it wasn't his fault that they'd made TV programmes to be so addicting that he just had to stay up all night binge watching it.

Regardless the exhaustion, he entered the classroom, though this time, Gerard had beaten Frank to it. He was there first. It startled Frank and he stopped in his tracks, stepping back silently.

It seemed Gerard hadn't noticed Frank was stood there, and under his breath, he continued to sing.

A smile plastered itself across Frank's face because he recognised the song. If he was correct, Gerard was singing That Joke Isn't Funny Anymore by The Smiths -one of his favourite bands.

Even though his voice was barely audible, Frank could hear the raw emotion he put in to it.

To make his presence known, Frank cleared his throat. But he didn't want to; he wanted to listen.

However, to his delight, Gerard didn't acknowledge it. The pencil scratched across the page he was scribbling on, slightly muffling the sound of his singing. With his other hand his fingers were threaded through his hair, fingertips only just reaching the teal roots. A frown was clear and Frank supposed he was exhausted too.

Reluctantly, he tried again. "Hi."

This time, Gerard immediately quit singing, lips parted as he shot a weak glare at Frank, who shuffled back a bit, worried he'd be a disturbance. But Gerard's scowl quickly morphed in to an apologetic gaze. "I'm sorry."

"What for?" Frank offered a smile, brushing it off. He discarded his bag, gathered the supplies he needed, then set it all up on a table closest to the teacher's desk. Hesitantly, when Gerard didn't speak first, he added in a murmur, "I like your singing."

"You heard?" Gerard bit his lip, glancing at Frank as he drummed his fingers anxiously. Memories flooded back to him, and he was nervous Frank would react the same way they had. No one had ever liked his singing -as far as he was aware.

"Don't worry; you're very good at it."

"Really?" He grinned, unable to keep a straight face because hearing that cheered him up considerably.

"Really." Frank paused; looking down for a moment, then back up in to Gerard's eyes, which were cast to the side. "Hasn't anyone told you that before?"

"Uhm," Gerard took a deep breath, "No."

"Well, I'm telling you now."

"Thank you." Gerard grinned shyly, turning his attention back to his sketch as he ran his fingers through his hair to push it back from his face.

Even though Gerard was looking down, Frank sneaked a glance at him with a small smile on his face –that was until he noticed a faint bruise by Gerard's temple. It was a swirl of yellow, blue and purple that was hidden mostly by his hair, but a part of it trailed to the corner of his eye before it faded.

Honestly, Frank was really curious and wanted to poke the problem with a stick. However, he refrained because it would be a huge invasion of Gerard's privacy -no matter the cause. For all he knew, Gerard could have banged his head like Frank had.

Sighing deeply, Frank just sat and stared.

Eventually, Gerard caught on and raised his head, furrowing his brows at Frank, who had his head resting in his hand, staring seemingly blankly at him. It was freaking him out.