n i n e

Finally, at long last, the date had landed on a bank holiday and Frank couldn't have been more grateful for the extra day of break from school. In addition, as if by some miracle, his parents were home. Sadly, they had to leave again on Tuesday.

Currently, he was curled up on the sofa, watching TV with his mother (they often watched and discussed shows together because it gave them something to talk about –they didn't have a lot in common) as they caught up on the gaps in Frank's life they had missed. Unfortunately, Frank's father hadn't succeeded in staying in for Monday night and had gone out shopping, claiming he would make his absence up by buying his son his favourite chocolate.

She turned the volume down, turning to her son, making an effort. "So what subjects did you take?"

Frank's face lit up, eager to share his news, and he sat up properly, leaning on the arm of the sofa. "I got in to higher music, game development, photography and art. But I still have to take bloody maths, English, religious studies and PE, which Ger-Mr Way said he'd try and get me out of so I can do art instead, because I have to do last year's art as well as this year's art."

"I'm sorry we dumped you in a new place all of a sudden, especially when you're on your last year." She sighed, scraping her hair back from her face, although it was already tied back.

Frank looked down, finding the carpet the most interesting thing in the world. "It's okay." And honestly, it was. They had gotten him away from a building full of bullies and an awful town that he hated himself for missing. "I like it here." He smiled weakly, knowing it wasn't his parent's fault that they'd had to move so suddenly.

"Why do you have to do two year's worth of art?"

"Because I wasn't here. . ."

"That's ridiculous. Doesn't this school have your work from your previous school? Can't they use that instead?"

"I don't know, but if they do, apparently not. They said I have to do it. And I'm not gonna question it."

"You have to stand up for yourself." She stated firmly, letting Frank know that a lecture on his confidence levels was going to come next, which he really did not want to hear. Again. He didn't want their limited time together to be ruined by the mention of his growing insecurities.

"It's fine, it's not that big of a deal!"

"Fine." She huffed, resting her head on her hand as she stared mindlessly at the TV. "What about that lad, Brendon? Are you still friends with him?"

"Yeah." He mumbled, not bothering to bring up the fact they'd seen less of each other because that type of conversation could last hours. "Art isn't that bad anyway." He spoke up, trying to convince his mother not to go in and talk to the school herself –he knew she would. "I have an awesome teacher. Mr Way."

"Oh yeah?" She smiled; glad he didn't have super strict teachers like she'd had. "Why's he so awesome?"

"I don't know." Frank felt his cheeks beginning to heat up so he glanced away, trying not to let a huge grin dominate the poker face he'd been attempting to master. "He's just kind and is more of a friend than a teacher. Plus, he brings in biscuits sometimes." He quickly added so he didn't come across as gushing; which he totally wasn't doing anyway.

"Does he help with you with your extra art?"

"Yeah, I do it after school."

"That's nice of him to stay after school with you."

Inevitably, a grin broke through. His face reddened as he fiddled with the zip on his hoodie, looking down to hide his smile. "Yeah, it is."