s i x t e e n

Lately, Frank had been staying in after school to see Gerard, completely ignoring his work. Maybe it was a bit ridiculous –staying to hang out with his art teacher- but it was the only socialising he actually did. Plus, he reckoned his life would be so much more boring without him.

Sadly, it was Wednesday, and he hadn't seen Gerard at all as he hadn't been there in the morning and he hadn't had a single lesson of art. Truthfully, the main thing that'd been getting him through the day was knowing that that idiot's teal roots, pixie nose and pink-lipped smile was going to greet him when the school day was over.

Instead of paying attention in class, Frank had been revaluating why Gerard had become to mean so much to him. Honestly, the mere idea of having a crush on his art teacher terrified him. Also, he didn't have anyone to share this possibility with, so he couldn't exactly grab a hold of how stupid it was.

A whole day's thinking had gotten him to a narrowed down point: he only liked Gerard that way because he was lonely; they were simply misplaced feelings because Gerard was the only one that had shown him any affection. Anyway, that's what he tried to tell himself.

Finally, the bell shrieked, causing Frank to nearly jump out of his skin. He'd been dazed and hadn't fully registered that it was the end of the day. Taking a deep breath, he gathered his things, then made his way up to the art department.

Upon reaching the doors, Frank hesitated.

For the first time, he wasn't totally sure he wanted to stay. He didn't want his feelings to be confirmed. Though he had been avoiding his art assignments recently.

Grinding his lip ring between his teeth, he held his breath and edged through a narrow gap in the double doors. He trudged in to 169a, finding Gerard sat on one of the tables, absorbed in his work.

Frank smiled. Typical, he thought. That fluttery feeling flared in his chest, making his blood pound in his ears. Shaking his head, he attempted to just ignore it. It wasn't real.

"You're like a child." Frank chuckled, dumping his bag and coat.

Startled, Gerard's eyes snapped up, a scowl flashing across his features. When he saw it was Frank, it disappeared, replaced with a smile. "You are a child."

"I am not." He huffed. "As of yesterday, I officially turned eighteen."

"Ah, yes, but did your maturity turn eighteen?" Gerard retorted, raising his eyebrows, a smirk tugging at his lips. He closed the student's book he was marking, tossing it to the side to focus all his attention on his favourite student.

Admittedly quite shocked, Frank stood there with his mouth hanging open. "How dare you?"

"Quite easily." He sassed. Carding his fingers through his hair, Gerard slid off the table, adjusted the collar on his denim jacket, then walked to stand in front of Frank, who was still gaping at him –a little overdramatically. "Do you need help with that?"

"What?" He blinked.

"Containing your surprise at how witty my comebacks are."

Frank scoffed, hanging his head to hide his smile. "No."

Cocking his head to the side, Gerard hooked his thumbs through his belt loops as he slowly walked back to his desk. "You know, you've been slacking?"

"Yeah," he sighed, averting his gaze to the floor. "I know."

"And. . . What're you going to do about it?"

"Stay back after school to do it?" Frank replied innocently, rocking back and forth on his heels as he clasped his hands behind his back to stop himself from fidgeting.