t w e n t y f o u r

On Christmas day, Gerard was so happy, he might have just spontaneously combusted.

In the morning, Gerard was a little ticked off to be woken up so early, but Bert had pestered him in to actually answering the door. "Go see what it is, or I'll open it and throw a brick at them."

Gerard would have retorted with, "Where are you going to get a brick from, smarty pants?" Though he was too tired to put in the effort.

Hair in knots, eyeliner smudged and eyes half closed, Gerard traipsed downstairs.

When he answered the door, he was extremely surprised and glad to see his brother's face staring back at him.

"Mikes!" He grinned, tackling him in to a hug.

"I told you he'd still be in bed." Ray snickered as he came up behind them, letting himself in the house.

"It's not my fault he used to be an early riser." Mikey replied as he pulled away from Gerard, who didn't miss a beat and ambushed Ray in a hug too.

"What the fuck is going on-?" Bert yawned as he trudged downstairs, clearly confused and also not a morning person.

"Mikey and Ray came down from New York." Gerard beamed, taking Bert's hand and leading him in to the kitchen, which was where everyone seemed to be gathering.

"And we're not your only surprise." Ray smiled, raising his eyebrows at Gerard as he nodded towards the door.

Furrowing his brows, Gerard turned around, and was met with the smiling faces of their parents. "Mum, dad!" He practically charged at them, wrapping his arms around them both -though it was hard as they were carrying huge sparkly bags, with objects in them that looked suspiciously like presents.

"You came?" He couldn't stop smiling.

"You thought we wouldn't?" His mother chuckled, bustling through the door and shaking the snow off her scarf. "It's good to see you, Gerard."

"We couldn't miss seeing you." His father said, receiving another warm hug from Gerard, who didn't say anything, just grinned like a Cheshire cat.

His father placed the bags under the Christmas tree as his mother dumped some other bags on the table, which she announced had frozen food in them for the dinner she planned to make.

Gerard's parents were slightly surprised to see that he was still dating Bert, but they didn't say anything that could jeopardize the cheery atmosphere they had going.

Mikey and Ray had brought a CD they'd made themselves with all their favourite songs on it, and claimed, "we have to play it because it's a Christmas CD." Everyone knew fine well that there were obviously no Christmas songs on it –well, save for Mariah Carrey's All I Want For Christmas is You, which Gerard sang along to way too loudly and proudly for someone who says they only like heavy rock.

While their mother had been busy in the kitchen, getting help from Bert, who did his best to make friendly conversation because he wanted to make Gerard happy, the Way brother's, their father, and Ray were playing monopoly in the living room.

Obviously, Gerard was the one to badger them in to playing that particular board game because he always won. However, it also resulted in him getting cards thrown at him as they thought he rigged the game in his favour somehow.

It was awfully typical; playing Monopoly as the fire crackled and the lovely smell from the kitchen wafted in, making them all extremely hungry. But none of them cared. It was wonderful.

By half five, they were still arguing over the game, and dinner was finally finished. All through the day, Ray, Gerard and Mikey had been eyeing the presents under the tree, trying to calculate which were who's from a distance.