*Prologue*

*Prologue*

(As in final chapter of 'Let Me Go')

"Oh, Rowan, Rowan, Rowan. Special little Rowan," Glenn teased in a patronizing voice as he slowly approached us.

Newt tensed. "I bloody mean it, Glenn, don't you touch her!"

Minho trembled with anger, his fists clenching by his sides. "You take one more step, you're going to shucking hell!"

Glenn recoiled in mock surprise, before breaking down into laughter and swinging back and forth his dagger. "You don't get it, do you Mr. Runner? You're already in hell!"

My legs felt weak, and I struggled to remain upright as the pain in my stomach worsened considerably. I felt as though I was going to pass out, but I kept myself steady and forced myself to stay alert.

"Nothing will stop me!" His voice rose in pitch, his tone more intense. "Nothing will stop them! WICKED... will not be stopped!"

My shoulders tensed and I tried to ignore the agony trembling through my body as I focused on Glenn's mind. I pushed past all those cruel thoughts speeding through his head, and tried to grasp the more deeper part of his brain; the one that would cause the most pain.

Then I had it, feeling it squirm through my fingers as he tried to fight back, but I kept hold of it. And squeezed. As hard as I could manage, I crushed his mind in my palm, grinning triumphantly as he crumpled to the ground, writhing in agony. I did not allow him to loose consciousness; a fire had been lit inside me that would not be quenched, and I forced him to feel everything to the most painful extent.

"WICKED will never win," I snarled, taking a step forward as Glenn continued to grasp his temples and flounder on the grass, screaming in agony.

I clenched tighter and pushed past Newt and Minho as they stared in horror at Glenn's demise. I ignored them and halted just before WICKED's slave. "You shouldn't have come here, Glenn."

Then he abruptly fell motionless, his body thudding dully against the ground. I released his crumbling mind from my grip and staggered back in exhaustion.

"Rowan..." Newt's voice was quiet, lost amongst the silent night. My head slowly inched up, and my eyes welled with tears as I met the horrified gazes of the other Gladers. I broke down into tears, but nobody approached me. I slowly spun on my heel to face Newt, his face an addled mess of emotions.

I suddenly felt numb. Numb with pain. Numb with fear. Numb because of what I'd done.

My eyes fluttered closed, and the world around me receded into a dull hum. Everything was forced behind an invisible barrier, and all sound embraced me as though through water; rippling and distant. But I paid no notice to anything. Not even Newt's desperate cry and the ripple of gasps weaving through the crowd.

I didn't return to reality until it was too late. Until something icy and keen was thrust into my back, penetrating my skin and burying itself deep in my flesh. The pain hit me slowly, but when it did, it was unbearable. It rippled through my body like a searing fire, burning through my insides with agonising speed. I spluttered and gasped as the blade was yanked from my back and I tottered forward.

Then I had arms around me, hands putting pressure on my back, cradling me, brushing my hair, stroking my face.

My eyes fluttered open and Newt's face was close to mine, his eyes welling, his lips trembling.

"Rowan," he choked, his quivering fingers streaking down my face. "Rowan, please. Don't leave me. Just don't leave me, not yet."

I shook my head, feeling my strength drain away rapidly, until I was dwindling on my last breaths.

"Let me go," I wheezed, spouting blood; the crimson droplets coated Newt's cheeks and I feebly reached a hand to brush them from his damp face. And then the tears fell, cascading from Newt's transfixing eyes like rain, spattering through my parted lips. "Please Newt. Just let me go." Then I gasped and spluttered, and my surroundings began shifting and trembling, and darkness began to seep into my vision, until Newt's face was just a smudge in the gloom. A black void opened in my chest; sucking dry all feelings and emotions, leaving me numb. I was sinking into a dull, monotonous pit. A pit which no light could penetrate. A pit in which I was trapped.

I took one last shuddering breath.

And then nothing.

~

this is just the last chapter of 'let me go', so i'm going to officially start it tomorrow, when i publish chapter one! who's excited? i am! haha.

~

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of James Dashner. The main characters (Rowan, Axel, Azela) and the story plot are my property, along with other possible names and locations. No copyright infringement is intended.