*North Wing*

*North Wing*

"You killed them?" Axel confronted Kyle, his tone pitched with anger. I didn't blame him, though; what WICKED were doing wasn't right, but killing them seemed a little... too far. They were still scientists, and people needed them if the world was stricken with disease.

"They had the flare!" Kyle defended, and Axel backed down.

"Fine," he huffed after a moments consideration. "I suppose death is a better fate. Now, where's this north wing?"

What's the Flare? Azela asked, but Axel ignored her.

It's a disease, I sighed. It infects your mind and turns you crazy. Makes you want to eat people.

She suddenly blanched, and I regretted saying the last part. Not everyone gets it.

She still looked pale, and I put a comforting hand on her shoulder.

There's no cure?

I shook my head sadly, and Kyle shot me a questioning glance as we followed Soldier to the other assembled men.

"Everything alright?" He asked, glancing at us suspiciously. "I hope you're not plotting something on there." He tapped his forehead and winked, before turning to face the front.

I made to say something, but held it back. He knows?

Obviously so, Axel muttered. He had his hands shoved into his pockets, his eyes thoughtful. I wondered what was going through his mind; probably thinking about his past.

Truthfully, I didn't want to delve into my past life; it was all gone. I couldn't go back to it, so why not just forget it and start a new life in a dying world?

"This is the north wing," Kyle whispered, leading us across another courtyard. "Does any of it look familiar?"

I cast my mind back to when we were forced to co-operate with WICKED - when we ran around as their little lab rats and bowed under every command - but this building looked just like the others.

I sighed as I watched more memories resurface. Axel and I in the labs, with the machines, watching the gladers arrive one by one in the Glade, confused and disorientated. Just like I did, waking up in the maze. Only I was a part of it; I was one of the trials.

I shook my head. "We're going to have to look around."

Axel had his eyes closed, still thinking. "Wait, I think I remember something. I remember... the room with the, with the red button. The machine. Yes, yes, I know where it is!"

He jumped eagerly and began running forward, shooting past Soldier.

"Hey, wait up!" Soldier cried, springing after him.

Stop, Axel! I shouted in my mind, and he suddenly skidded to a halt. It could be dangerous.

But he didn't respond. He just stared at the door, his arms dangling loosely by his sides. It didn't even look like he had heard me.

Soldier called out his name, but he still remained silent. As I got closer, I realised he was shaking; his hands trembled under the cuffs of his sleeves.

"Axel!" I gasped, breathless from running. I spun in front of him and took him by the shoulders. He didn't even flinch; his face was a mixture of panic and confusion, his eyes unfocused. "Axel, what's wrong?"

He shook his head, his eyes still unmoving. "Someone's... someone's talking to me. It's a... it's a man, but I..."

Suddenly, his features contorted painfully and his knees buckled. I grasped onto his shoulders to stop him falling, but his weight slumped against me.

He'd passed out.

"Axel! Axel, wake up!" I cried in his ear, struggling to keep him upright as his head lolled to the side.

And then I heard it. The man's voice, in my head; raspy and cracked, repeating the same words, over and over...

You'll never get them out. You can't save them. You'll never get them out. You can't save them...

They're already dead.