*Just like old times*

We continued traversing the Maze for another ten minutes before we encountered another three grievers.

They trailed after one another like lost puppies, following the one in front to their next victim.

Azela and I will handle this one. Keep everyone away.

I nodded to myself, before realising they couldn't see me. Kyle glanced at me in question.

"Azela and Axel will handle it," I hissed quietly.

"Three of them?" He asked incredulously, and I shrugged.

Let me help.

There was a pause. Fine.

I shouldered my way through the crowd until I was beside Thomas and Teresa, being herded back by the panicking crowd.

"Keep it together, guys. Build up a ring of defence!" Soldier's voice ricocheted loudly off the looming walls.

"I can't even see... oh, shuck."

I balanced on my tiptoes and glanced over the heads of the gladers. Axel and Azela were clutching long machetes, feigning attacks as they worked their mind magic.

But there were only two...

Where's the other one? I asked, though received no reply. They were too busy trying to evade the creatures' stabbing pincers.

Then I heard a shrill scream, and all eyes snapped to Alyssa. A griever was clung to the wall beside her, baring its metallic fangs, it's spindly legs clinking against the vines.

Then the griever lunged, and I almost wished it had embraced the shank in it's mechanical limbs, but Newt pushed her out of the way just in time.

She collapsed in his arms whilst the others erupted in a ripple of screams and shouts.

I gritted my teeth, feeling a pang of jealousy, and quickly skirted through the assembled boys, trying to connect with the griever's mind.

It was tricky to concentrate whilst also trying to dodge it's sudden attacks. It's trail of thought kept slipping through my fingers, and I just managed to catch onto the stand of conscience before I lost it entirely.

A sharp spike of metal suddenly darted from the griever's lanky figure, and I felt something connect with my side.

The air was knocked from my lungs as I was thrown into a wall, and I crumpled into a heap on the ground, gasping and spluttering.

Then arms were helping me up, and I stared dazedly into Thomas' widened eyes.

"You okay?" He breathed, cringing as his gaze landed on my head. "Shuck it; you're bleeding."

I shook the pain away. "I'm fine," I lied, peering over his shoulder. Some of the gladers were managing to fend it off.

This was my chance.

I clamped my eyes shut, pushing everything else behind a mental barrier. It was just the griever and I. Nothing else.

My nostrils flared; the griever evaded my blow, parrying with a mental shield. But I worked my way past it, feigning blows and lunging closer to it's soft spot. It was just in reach... I almost had it... then my wispy fingers clasped around it and tugged, and a cringing shriek tugged me back to reality.

The gladers were staring at the writhing creature incredulously; Thomas was holding my shoulder, also watching the spectacle as a dark oily substance began leaking from its body.