*Test Subject*

*Test Subject*

I turned back to my own room, and noticed something etched in the door. I took a step closer and the writing hit me as being familiar.

Rowan Alesta

Subject 1F

Group C

The Destroyer

Of course. My label; the brand on my back that identified me as 'the destroyer'. Just another test subject with the aim to destroy everyone I love.

I sighed and made to open the door when a crash sounded from one of the other rooms. I jumped with a start, my breath hitching in my throat. Then everything settled into silence once more, leaving me gasping heavily with shock.

Calming myself, I slowly approached the door from which the noise came behind. My bare feet squeaked against the polished floor, and I cringed at a particularly loud screech as it echoed down the hall.

I stopped outside the door, reading the label with curiosity, and then surprise.

Axel Redding

Subject 3F

Group C

The Hunter

I gasped as I studied the careful lettering. Group C? Same as me. The Hunter? Were we considering the bad guys here?

I suddenly caught a sound from the other side of the room, and pressed my ear against the wood, straining to catch the noise again. It was a faint moaning, and a shuffling, as if someone was moving painfully slow around the room.

And then before I knew it, the door was pulled open and I tumbled inside. Whomever was on the other side barely had time to react before my shoulder brushed past theirs and we were both knocked off balance.

I landed on my knees in somewhat of an awkward position, wincing as my kneecaps clicked against the tiles. Axel - if that was who it was - was murmuring and pulling himself onto his feet. I finally dragged myself up and turned to face my fellow subject.

He was skinny, with a pale, freckled face, and dark hair that drooped over his piercing eyes. Hazel in colour, yet they held so much depth and emotion.

"I'm sorry," I mumbled, shrinking under his bewildered glare.

He shook his head, seemingly snapping out of a daze. "Nah, it's fine. I'm just glad there's another person in this place. Perhaps you know what's going on." His voice was rich and pleasant, but the words he spoke didn't seem to fit as they rolled from his tongue.

"Well, uh, I'm not sure I can provide many answers, but I'll try and do what I can," I said, leaning against the bed.

His eyebrows creased. "Uh, I was stabbed," he stated awkwardly, glancing at his stomach. This caused me to jump with alarm. "And now I'm alive."

"What? You mean... you were in the Maze?"

His eyes enlarged. "Do you know Harriet?"

I faltered. Harriet? He must have been somewhere else... there was more than one maze!? "You were with... other girls?"

He nodded, his cheeks flushing with the eagerness of asking questions. "You mean you weren't? I was the only guy there but..." he faltered, growing uneasy. "I had these strange..."

"Telepathic powers?" I offered, and he glanced at me with a mixture of bewilderment and relief. He nodded and heaved a sigh, starting to tug off the wires puckering his skin.

"Telepathic powers," he confirmed. "You get stabbed too?"

I nodded, unintentionally rubbing my stomach, where the rough bandage was still hindering my movements in the most uncomfortable manner.

"Looks like it's a pattern; it's probably supposed to happen; the maze, the powers, the events," I murmured sadly.

A new voice interrupted our quiet contemplations, and we both glanced up with a start.

"We're just test subjects."

okay. weekend over. i'm not sure when my next update will be; possibly sometime during the week. thanks for reading, anyhow! ciao, for now, my precious shanks!