*Rescue Mission*

*Rescue Mission*

Rowan? Are you okay? Axel's words ricocheted through my mind, snapping me from my daze. Had I spoken in my mind?

Uh, yeah, I responded, staring stupidly at the wall as Minho looked at me incredulously.

Okay.

"Uh, you okay, shank?" The runner asked, exchanging a glance with Thomas.

I looked at him in surprise. "Oh, sorry. I'm fine, I just... kinda zoned out for a moment there," I lied, gulping hard. "Where did you say Newt was?"

Minho shrugged again, accepting my excuse. "Try the deadheads."

Then he and Thomas stomped back up the stairs, leaving me breathing heavily as I planned what to do next.

Maybe I ought to try and talk to Newt, and find out who this Alyssa girl was; perhaps Minho was merely joking. At least, that's what I hoped.

I shrugged to myself and ambled slowly over to the cluster of drooping trees. This was where Newt and I would always go... Now it was Newt and Alyssa's spot, and I couldn't help but feel like I'd been replaced.

I heaved another sigh and dragged myself over the thick underbrush, my bandaged feet getting snagged on twigs. I growled in frustration as I realised I could have easily picked up some shoes back at the homestead; I supposed it just slipped my mind.

I suddenly heard a giggle cut through the trees. And then a girls voice.

My heart abruptly sank. He was with her. Alyssa. Minho was right. I paused in my tracks.

Tears pricked my eyes again. I didn't want to cry, I wanted to stay strong, but after everything Newt and I went through together, him just forgetting me was too much. Never mind the fact that I'd been replaced by another girl.

I spun around and ran back, not caring about the noise I made running through the trees; branches slapped my face and twigs cracked underfoot. He could know I was there for all I cared.

And then I let the tears flow; my whimpering became louder, the tears flowed stronger. But I didn't care. It felt good to let it all out. Why couldn't I cry, after everything I'd been through?

I ran through the forest until I reached a small stream, and I sank to my knees in the mud, beside the trickling water.

Why was I acting like this? What about what Axel said; you've got to stay strong. You've come this far, so why give up now? You've just got to deal with it. What happens, happens.

But I couldn't. I couldn't accept that; why didn't anything turn out okay? Why did everything have to end in pain and suffering and tears?

"Hey," a voice broke me out of my thoughts, and I peered over my shoulder through blurred vision.

Kyle was leaning casually against one of the trees, his eyes glinting with sympathy.

I sighed and scrambled to my feet, swiping away the soil and leaves clinging to my knees. "Hey," I murmured quietly, my voice slightly hoarse from crying.

"Everything alright?"

I nodded uncertainly, before glancing down at my feet, bruised and battered, throbbing like hell.

"Do you know where any shoes are?" I sniffled quietly, trying to cheer myself up.

His sincere face brightened and he gestured back to the homestead. "I'm sure they can sort that out; seems like a nice community."

I nodded, not saying a word, my eyes feeling sore and puffy.

"I think they're holding something called a gathering soon. They said we'll be able to explain why we're here and stuff so they can decide what to do."

I nodded again, thoughtfully. I had to focus on the real reason we came here; to save the others.

As Kyle had said before, this was a rescue mission. And now it was time to rescue.