*Through the Griever Hole*

"It's on the other side of the building; we need to move carefully but fast. There still may be armed scientists about." The way he spoke almost sounded comical, yet his face was set dead straight with determination. Kyle was hard to figure out; one moment he'd be serious and solemn, then he'd be chuckling to himself and winking.

"What're you thinking about?" Axel murmured in my ear, making me jump. I shot him a questioning look. "You were frowning. You thinking about your friends?"

I shook my head, sighing quietly. Azela was trailing behind us, looking lost and out of place. I felt a twang of guilt, but there was nothing I could do. "So, were you close to... Harriet?"

He glanced up in surprise. "Uh, I suppose so." He cheeks flushed crimson and he trained his eyes on the tiled floor. He must have been in a relationship; as I was with Newt.

"I have someone I'm close to, as well," I admitted quietly. "Hopefully we can see them soon."

He hummed in reply and Kyle hushed us. "We're almost there," he hissed, gesturing for us to come closer.

All of a sudden, the thin lights lining the ceiling above us flashed with a blinding light, before shattering and showering us with sparks and shards of glass. Azela yelped and we all covered our heads, ducking to the ground. The room was plunged into darkness once again.

My cheek stung as a tiny speck of glass brushed past my cheek, luckily not deep enough to draw blood, but just graze it.

"Everyone okay?" Soldier asked, squinting in the gloom.

I felt a hand on my shoulder and I glanced up to see Axel looking at me, concern shrouding his eyes. He had a thin trail of blood trickling down his forehead, but had sustained no major wounds.

Azela was looking slightly disorientated, but she was otherwise unharmed.

Axel helped me to my feet and I faced Kyle. His cheek was stained crimson, and his forehead was puckered with a large gash. He began rummaging blindly in his backpack, looking for his first aid kit, but the blood running down his forehead obscured his vision, and I gently took the bag from his trembling hands.

"Let me," I said, pulling out the kit. I wasn't fully sure what to do, so I handed it to Soldier and allowed him to clear up the wound.

"You can stitch it later; we have to keep moving," Kyle said, ushering us down the corridor.

"Are you okay, sir?" Soldier asked ahead of us, his voice riddled with genuine concern.

"I'll be fine. Let's just get these kids out of here safely."

This made me smile a little; this people genuinely cared about us. Perhaps we might finally be happy.

"Here! Look!" Soldier suddenly said, halting outside a thick door. The lettering 'FCBDSP' was printed smoothly on the door's surface, and Axel looked at Kyle eagerly.

"Shall we go in?"

Kyle frowned thoughtfully and glanced at Soldier. "I'll go first."

Axel suppressed a huff and Soldier proceeded to edge the door open, once again pointing the barrel of his gun round the corner.

Then he hurried through and glanced about, before gesturing it was clear. We all piled into the room and Kyle flicked the light switches.

Light flared, and then dulled. It was feeble, but it aided our sight somewhat. Inside was another lab; computer screens buzzed and flickered, paper rustled as we passed and chemicals bubbled in glass tubes and cylinders.

I gulped nervously and followed Kyle through the lab. On the opposite side of the room was a door, and Axel gestured to it.

"Through there!"

We all crowded around the door and looked at Soldier expectantly.

He rolled his eyes and pushed it open. A gust of wind raked through the opening and my hair whipped across my face. Brushing it away, I peered around the small room into which we emerged. By the wall, there was a computer terminal with a flashing red button on the keyboard. Dragging my gaze away, I saw a set of ladders, supposedly leading up to the Maze. I craned my neck and found a circular hole at the top, giving us a view of a clear sky; a pool of light showered from the hole, illuminating the ground beneath.

"Who wants to go first?"

Again, we all stared at Soldier and he grinned mockingly. "I suppose I shall."

"You're the one with the gun," Axel muttered, and he shot him an amused glare.

Axel shrugged and tilted his head impatiently.

Soldier began climbing the metal rungs in silence.

"What the hell?" He exclaimed, his body twisting as his head turned.

"What is it?" Kyle asked in alarm, and Soldier peered down from the whole, his eyes wide in disbelief.

"You gotta see this man," he said. "I think we're floating."

uh, happy halloween. have an update :) sorry for the delay; at least they've finally reached the maze!

i can't actually remember what the griever hole or the room with the red button looks like and stuff, so i kinda made it up. i do remember that it's like an invisible floating hole thing near a cliff; in the book it is, anyway.