*Take It Easy*

*Take It Easy*

"Newt was more than just a friend, wasn't he?" Thomas asked as he accompanied me back to the homestead.

I sighed. "Is it really obvious?"

Thomas hummed. "Maybe, I don't know. It's just the way you look at him," he said after some time.

I nodded, my head still ringing.

"Do... do you know what happened in there?" He asked somewhat tentatively.

"What do you mean?" I asked weakly, feeling my eyelids droop.

"Well, you didn't look so great back at the homestead. You look pretty pale too, at the moment," he said, and I felt his eyes probing my face.

"I'm just tired," I replied shortly, knowing it was just an excuse. It was most likely a side-effect of my powers.

Rowan?

"Huh?" I said with a start, before realising the words had reached me through my mind.

"You okay?" Thomas asked, his eyebrows arched.

I realised I'd stopped in my tracks. "Oh, uh, yeah. Sorry, I just, uh, it doesn't matter," I trailed into silence, speaking in my head. It was difficult to do both at once.

I continued walking.

Everything okay, Azela?

Uh, yeah. I was just wondering how everything is going.

I frowned and gulped, noticing Thomas inspecting me with narrowed eyes.

I'm coming up to the homestead. I'm feeling a little weak at the moment. The gathering didn't go too great.

Okay. Talk to me when you're ready.

"Tell me what happened here," Thomas suddenly said. I glanced over and saw him staring at the ground, hands shoved in his pockets. "The night you were stabbed."

My heart fluttered in warning. Why did he want to know? "Uh..." I murmured, unsure of what to say. But then I had the sudden impulse to... touch his head? My breath caught it my throat as my hand suddenly moved involuntarily, my fingers brushing past his temple.

He exclaimed in surprise, grinding to a halt, before sinking into a sudden stupor. His eyes glazed over, his expression froze. His body swayed slightly in the breeze, but the rest of him remained still. And my fingers remained on his temple, even though I had no idea what I was doing.

Then I let go, and my hand dropped back down to my side.

Thomas blinked, suddenly disorientated. And then he looked at me. Blankly, at first, and then with widened eyes. His jaw hung loose.

"What the... what was... holy mother of Minho..." he trailed, looking baffled. "You had to... go through all of that?" He asked, a little sheepishly.

I nodded, staring at the ground. I had just showed him my whole experience here... What if I did that to Newt?

"Don't tell anyone for now, okay?" I said urgently, suddenly heeding the other gladers milling about. Had they seen any of that?

Thomas nodded, and suddenly became aware of his surroundings too. He ushered me to the Homestead and we paused just in the doorway.

"I'm going to find a way to convince the others to trust you," he said, looking at me sincerely. I met his gaze, and suddenly became aware of how beautiful his eyes were...

What the hell are you doing?

I gulped and dragged my gaze away.

"I won't tell anyone. I promise. Now you need to rest; you really don't look well. Just... take it easy, okay?"

I nodded, feeling drowsy, and stumbled up the stairs.

As soon as I reached the first door, I flung myself in and onto the bed, instantly slipping into a dreamy state.

~

Rowan... Rowan?

I stirred, sleepily rubbing my eyes as I pushed my head off the stiff pillow.

Rowan... are you awake?

It was Azela.

I am now, I replied, slightly disorientated as I slipped off the bed.

I'm sorry, she said quietly.

It's fine. Where are you?

She paused for a moment, and when she finally responded, she sounded pained. Two doors down. Axel's here.

I nodded, then realised she couldn't see me, and quickly skirted out of the door, and into the room, a little way down the landing.

Azela was still curled up in the bed, with Axel sat on the edge, his knees drawn up.

"Hey," I said, somewhat sheepishly, as I tottered into the room. "How're you feeling?"

She nodded, forcing a smile to mask her pain, but her eyes remained sunken and dull.

"Where's Kyle and Soldier?" I suddenly perked up, realising I hadn't seen the two men in a while.

"Gathering supplies," Axel replied in a stiff voice. "Your friend, Thomas, convinced everyone to follow us."

Then Thomas' own voice reached us from the doorway. "We're finally going to leave the Maze."

omg. i'm so sorry for the delay! i don't even know what happened; i've just been super busy, so i haven't had the time to write, so i'm sorry. anyway. i hope this part was a little longer, but i suck at writing long chapters so i'm sorry. but, at least we can finally progress in the story, 'cause they're leaving the maze at last!!!

also, please check out the super cute thomas sangster fanfic, called 'gone for good' by 5secondsofsangster, okay? it's really sweet, and it deserves a shuck more reads and votes!

thanks for reading, shanks!