*Falling Apart*

*Falling Apart*

My heart froze.

"What?" I breathed, my voice strangled as the words lodged in my throat. "Newt, I-"

"Look, how do you know my name?"

"Newt!" I cried, stepping forward. My lip trembled. "Newt, it's me! What do you-"

"I'm sorry to interrupt, but Azela needs help," Kyle interjected, gesturing to the unconscious girl.
Newt's eyes widened. "What happened? And who are you people?"

"At the moment, that doesn't matter. We need to help Azela, and then we'll explain," Soldier added, gathering her in his arms.

Newt nodded, somewhat hesitantly. "Follow me!" He limped away, Soldier and Kyle racing after him, and I felt my world crumble to dust.

Axel gently patted my shoulder, his face stricken. "Rowan, I-I'm so sorry," he said, his eyes glazed.

I shook my head, chocking back a sob. Newt didn't remember me. How could this happen? Why? After everything that happened, he didn't remember me!?

"Look at me Rowan," Axel whispered sharply, taking both my shoulders in his hands.

But I couldn't. My gaze remained fixed to my trembling hands, hanging by my sides.

What was the point? What was the point in coming if they didn't even know who I was?

"Rowan." His voice was harsher, biting into my thoughts, and I forced myself to look up. "Don't you dare start giving up now, okay?"

I gulped.

"He doesn't remember you, I know. But I swear to you, we will find a way. He will remember. But for now you've got to get a grip and focus on getting out of here alive. We need to help Azela, and then we'll sort things out."

His words stung, but I knew he was right. This was the best approach. I couldn't give up now.

I nodded fiercely. "Thank you, Axel."

He offered me a grim smile, and we both turned to the other gladers, regarding us with curiosity.

"Who the shuck are you?" I heard someone ask, instantly recognising the voice.

Minho.

My heart saddened considerably. Minho didn't remember me either.
I gulped and swallowed back my tears.

"My name's Rowan," I stated in a trembling voice. "And this is Axel. We're with a group called Right Arm; we're here to get you out of the Maze."
The gladers looked dumbstruck, some glaring at me skeptically.

"Yeah right," someone scoffed, and I jumped with a start as I realised it was a girls voice.

My head snapped up, and sure enough, there was a girl. She had blonde, wavy hair, and a scowl imprinted on her face.

I frowned. Girls? There were more girls?

"Hey, give them a chance," said an unfamiliar voice, and the gladers parted to let another guy through. He had cropped brown hair, and a friendly gaze, and he held out a hand to me as he reached us.

"My name's Thomas," he said softly, shaking my hand. "What did you say yours was?"

My frowned softened. "Rowan. My name's Rowan."

His gaze lingered on me for a moment, before nodding and turning to Axel.

"Axel," he said gruffly.

Thomas nodded. "So, you're here to rescue us?"

Axel and I nodded simultaneously. "We're with three other people; one of them got stung by a griever. Will she be okay?"

Thomas nodded, glancing fleetingly to the homestead.

"The Medjacks'll make sure she's alright. And Newt's with her."

My heart jolted at the mention of Newt, and more tears threatened to break through.

"Thank you. Could you take us to them?"

"Sure, follow me."

this part is super short and consisted of a lot of talking, so i'm sorry it's not a great update. at least thomas is finally in it, 'cause i know a few of you were asking about him in 'let me go'. yeah. i just wanted to update at, like, 6:30 in the morning 'cause i love you guys that much, and all your comments are driving me craazy ;)
thanks for reading, shanks.