*Mechanical Slug*

*Mechanical Slug*

"What?" Kyle asked skeptically, glancing up at Soldier.

He shrugged and poked his head back through the hole. "We're literally floating; suspended in mid-air. There's a cliff to my right, so I'm going to try and get to it, but I don't know if there's some sort of invisible path to use," he mumbled, growing quieter as he stretched further out of the hole.

Kyle glanced at us in confusion. "Do you have any idea what he's talking about?"

We all shook our heads, equally as bewildered, and waited for Soldier to answer his own questions.

"Ah, here we are!" Only his tiptoes remained on the ladders, until he pushed himself off and disappeared altogether. There was no reaction,and Soldier didn't peer his head back in.

"Soldier?" Kyle asked, his hazel eyes growing wide. "Soldier, can you hear me?"

"Yes, Sir! I'm in the Maze. You'd better get up here!"

Kyle looked at us and shrugged placidly. Then he began climbing up the steel rungs, one at a time, but with agile movements. His head poked through the top, and a gasp of amazement rolled off his tongue.

"Soldier's right; we're floating!"

"How can that be possible?" Azela hissed to me, and I shook my head. "I don't know. This is the future, I suppose."

She sighed sadly and Axel stepped forward to climb the ladder. Then he paused. "I'll go last. In case anyone comes behind us," he said, and I raised my eyebrow.

We have just as much power as you do, I stated matter-of-factly, with an amused tone.

He rolled his eyes and gestured for me to go up. Sorry for trying to be nice.

I know. Thank you.

Then I followed Kyle's lead as he struggled to get the rest of his body out of the hole and across the 'invisible' platform.

The metal was cold to touch and I climbed quickly, ducking as Kyle's foot flailed above me. Then he was gone completely, and I peered out of the hole. I gasped and spun my head, looking around in amazement. Soldier had been right; we were literally suspended in mid-air. There was the cliff a few meters away, and Kyle and Soldier were talking quietly by the edge.

"Hey, guys?" I said, pushing myself further out of the hole and looking around in confusion. "How do I get across?"

Soldier took a step off the cliff, so he was standing in mid-air, and smiled knowingly as my eyes widened. This was shucking crazy.

"Give me your hand," Soldier said, leaning forward, and I grasped his fingers as he helped me onto the platform. I felt a dizzying sensation tug at my stomach as I looked into the wavering depth below, and instead trained my gaze on Soldier as he lead me back to the cliff.

Azela emerged next, with Axel close behind, and Soldier helped them both to where I was stood, glancing sadly at my familiar surroundings.

Sudden memories of waking up in the maze, confused and disorientated, surfaced, and I sighed.

"Which maze are we in?" Axel asked, brushing down his shirt.

"Uh, Group A," Kyle replied, uncertainly, looking at Soldier for confirmation. "The Boys' Maze."

He hummed and scoured forward, clutching his gun tightly. "Let's go."

Kyle ambled after him, swiping away the blood trickling from his cut.

I shrugged and followed behind, wondering what Newt's reaction would be when he saw me... alive.

Suddenly, an all too-familiar whirring and clanking ricocheted through the passage we were traversing, and the icy tendrils of dread clamped themselves around my heart.

"Whoah!" Soldier exclaimed, peering into the gloom that clung to the walls. "What the hell? Is that... some kinda mechanical slug?"

Axel gasped, his voice strangled with alarm. "Grievers!"

sorry, guys, but updates are going to be a lot less frequent 'cause i have a lot of klunky schoolwork and revision to do. i'll try and update at least twice a week, but i can't promise you any more. sorry about this. and thanks for reading! :)