*The Failures*

*The Failures*

Axel's and Azela's presence left my mind, and I figured they must be pondering any possible distractions. I, myself, was trying to think of something, but I seemed to be having no luck at all.

What would be so drastic that they responded immediately by coming? Even so, when they did arrive - if they did arrive - how were we to escape? Surely it wouldn't be easy.

I heaved a sigh, my hands clasping and unclasping restlessly, impatiently. Nothing ingenious struck me, but I had a few ideas.

Hey, you there? I called out to nobody in particular.

Yeah. Axel.

I am! Azela

I sucked in a long breath. Anyone got any ideas?

The sullen silence told me everything. Well, I was thinking maybe giving ourselves an injury? But that means one of us would have to get hurt, and it would have to be pretty serious if they're to come; there's a first aid kit in here and they'd probably expect us to handle it ourselves.

The others listened intently to what I said without speaking. Now, they were pondering on what they'd just heard.

I thought about injuries, Axel muttered. But it wouldn't be fair if one of us-

All at once, Axel was cut short as an alarm began blaring through the building, and my door automatically flung open.

I jerked from my bed in shock, my breath hitching in my throat at the sudden noise. Slipping off, I ran to the door and peered out. Axel and Azela were doing the same, only their attention was fixed on another open door. A new door; a way out.

I bolted forward, after Azela, and tugged her back as she made to go through.

"Wait!" I gasped, holding her shoulder steady. My gaze briefly flitted to the cameras; they were blinking red and pointed to the ground. "How do we know what's through there?"

Axel appeared by my other shoulder. "Rowan's right. We don't know what's waiting for us."

Then a new voice interrupted us; a automated voice, trilling through the air in a shrill tone. "Do not let Group C escape. Do not let the Failures escape. Do not let Group C escape."

The failures?!

I gritted my teeth. "Shall we do what it says?"

The three of us exchanged glances; Axel had a determined glint in his eye and Azela's lips were tugged straight.

"Definitely not!" Axel muttered and all three of us walked casually up to the door.

Before, the glaring white walls did not allow us to see past the rusty hinges, but now the view was clear to us.

It led outside, into a vast gravel courtyard. Fanned out behind it was a vast building complex.

We were in WICKED's headquarters.

I stepped outside first; the gravel stung my bare feet, but I took no notice of it for now. Instead, I cast an eye out for any movement to halt our escape, but there didn't seem to be a person in sight.

"Where are we?" Azela inquired, looking around in wonder.

"WICKED's headquarters," Axel muttered, obviously having the same ideas as me.

"Who's WICKED?"

Of course; Azela wasn't part of the Maze. "The people who did all this to us," I sighed, gesturing to my temples and stomach.

Her face fell, but her eyes hardened.

"Hey, over here!" A voice hissed to my right, and we all spun round in surprise.

A young man, in his late twenties, was crouched by the building. My heart flared with momentary panic, but why would he be hiding if he was with WICKED?

Axel glanced skeptically at me as I took a step forward.

He seems friendly.

Axel glared at me, but I merely shrugged and slowly traipsed towards the man. Axel and Azela darted after me, being left with no other choice, and the three of us followed the man in silence as he led us round the building.

Finally, we stopped at a gate, beyond which stretched a vast desert. Sand swirled through the hazy air, stinging with heat. Behind the gate, however, the effects seemed minimal, as if there were a barrier shielding us from whatever lay amongst the wasteland, "Who are you?" I hissed, as the man cast out a weary eye. "And where are we?"

He shot me a warning glare, but answered me nevertheless. "We're in WICKED headquarters, somewhere in the Scorch. Who I am doesn't matter for the time being; just know I'm here to help you escape. I triggered the alarm that opened that door." He jabbed a finger the way we had come from, and said no more as he gestured for us to he quiet.

Do you think we can trust him? Azela said, eyeing him suspiciously.

No, Axel replied bluntly, his eyebrows creased into a scowl.

Fine, then. Go and find your own way out, I muttered testily, then regretted my comment. No, I'm sorry. Let's just follow him for now; he might be telling the truth. Anyhow, don't forget, we have our powers!

Axel sighed loudly, receiving another glare from the man.

But after a moment, he rose from his position and dusted off his trousers.

"Right, I think all is safe; it doesn't look as though anyone is coming this way," he declared, his face brightening considerably. He took on a kind smile, which wrinkled his features, and held out a hand. "Name's Kyle. And I'm with Right Arm."