*Unknown Intentions*

I stared at Thomas for a few more seconds, before turning back to Axel, solemn and quiet. I suddenly felt a twang of sympathy for him; he'd been so eager to see Harriet again, but now he was almost reluctant to. In case she was like Newt.

Axel. Please... it might not be the same.

His nostrils flared, and he suddenly spoke aloud, regarding me with a harsh glare. "It's a pattern, Rowan, of course it's going to be the same!" He snapped, standing sharply. Then he strode out of the room, knocking past Thomas.

He glanced at me in confusion, but I ignored him and sank to the floor, burying my head in my lap. Why did I have to make a mess of everything? How could I have been so selfish?

"Uh, Rowan?" Thomas asked gently, and the floorboards creaked sullenly as he waded across them.

He stopped, and I felt his presence beside me; hesitant, reluctant.

"Shall I get Newt?" He asked after some time, his voice monotonous. Was he... jealous?

My heart fluttered and I refused to glance up. But I shook my head; seeing Newt would probably make it worse.

"It's fine," I whispered, my voice quivering. I took a shaky breath and scrambled to my feet. There was nothing I could say to Axel at the moment; he needed time alone. But when the time was right, I knew where to find him. "We need to get everything sorted out; we're going to leave this place."

I ushered Thomas to the door, and quickly glanced back at Azela. You rest. When you feel ready, come and join us.

She nodded and her head dropped back to the pillow.

I followed Thomas down the steps and hurried back out into the Glade.

"Kyle and Soldier are with Minho and Newt in the map room; they're showing them the location of the exit."

I nodded distractedly. I wasn't paying much attention to what he was saying; my mind was too occupied with the prospect of making Newt remember me. All I had to do was touch his head, right?

"-is it exactly?"

"Huh?" I snapped out of my thoughts. Thomas was gazing at me expectantly as we walked through the prickly grass. His eyebrow arched. "Uh, sorry, what were you saying?"

"Where is the exit exactly?" He repeated quietly, nodding to Chuck as he passed.

"It's through an invisible hole over the edge of a cliff," I replied, matter-of-factly.

He stared at me skeptically, but I met his gaze coolly.

"You're being serious aren't you?"

I nodded solemnly, but a smile tugged at my lips as Thomas suddenly chuckled to himself. "I suppose nobody ever thought of that."

"I suppose," I sighed.

Silence reigned for the rest of the trip to the map room, but as we stopped outside the shabby doors, Thomas suddenly blurted a question that looked to have been bothering him the entire time.

"Are you going to do it to Newt?" He said before he could stop himself, suddenly training his eyes on the ground.

Although the question was obscure, I managed to grasp his meaning. I was pondering the exact same thing. "I don't know," I said in a hushed tone. "I want to, but... it doesn't feel like the right time. And what about Alyssa? What if he ends up angry with himself and WICKED because of what they did to him and he... does something reckless and stupid?!" I murmured, suddenly taking in a sharp breath. Why did I keep blurting all my true thoughts to him; I barely even knew him...