*Long-awaited Freedom*

We were all assembled at the Maze walls, armed with weapons of various stature. All the gladers bore a face set hard with defiance... determination. It was time for they long-awaited freedom. Time to escape WICKED.

Azela had joined us minutes after Gally stalked off, declaring she felt wholly better and able to fight again. Her cheeks had regained their rich colour, and her eyes were burning with an unwavering flame.

Axel bore the same glint of determination in his eye and his hands were clenched by sides. He was prepared to do whatever it took to get Harriet back.

And so was I. Once we got out of here, and once we rescued Group B, I was going to tell Axel. Tell him what I'd shown Thomas. And then we could do it together. Get back those we loved. Newt and Harriet.

"Is everybody ready?" Kyle yelled over the excited din of the assembled gladers.

Everybody nodded, their eagerness growing. They were finally getting out of the maze. But, the danger was not yet over...

"There will be grievers in there," he continued, pacing in front of us all and jabbing a finger behind him. "And they will attack. They may even take some lives, but only you can stop that from happening! Be wary, defend yourselves and those around you. We want to get out of here together, you understand!?"

There came a ripple of 'yes' and Soldier stepped forward. "I'll take the lead with Axel and Azela," he announced. "You lot will follow close behind, and Kyle and Rowan will take the back."

There was a grunt of agreement, but Thomas looked at me warily.

"Will you be okay?" He mouth to me, and I nodded, my heart twanging at his concern for me.

Axel and Azela were stood either side of me, and I quickly gave their hands a brief squeeze.

You'll be fine; try not let anyone see you use your powers.

You too.

Good luck!

Then I joined Kyle, and Soldier led Axel and Azela to the front.

Then they started walking, and the gladers disappeared into the gloom of the Maze in sets of two or three.

Thomas lingered to the back, and I flashed him a smile as he trailed after the dark haired girl from before.

"You ready?" Kyle asked.

"Mhmm," I hummed, tightening my fingers around a curved dagger. He nodded and stepped forward to join the trail of gladers. I took one fleeting glance at the sorry sight I was leaving behind once and for all, and quickly skirted behind the Right Arm associate.

"Does Soldier remember the way?" I asked quietly.

Kyle nodded distractedly. "He and Minho have been going through the route. The runner is in the middle so if we get split up, he can take the other group a different way."

I nodded slowly, spotting Thomas' blurry form a few paces ahead. Newt and Alyssa were also nearby; I could hear them mumbling quietly to each other in sickly voices, but I was unable to discern their speech.

"Alright guys, stay alert," Alby called from amongst the crowd. A dull humming could be heard from the distance, and a ripple of panic quickly cascaded through the gladers.

They knew a griever was nearby. They just didn't know where.

My eyes darted down the gloomy passages as we passed them, hoping to catch sight of one of the bulbous mechanical beasts.

"Over there!" Someone's strangled voice rose from the crowd, and all eyes snapped to the approaching griever, whirring and clanking as it's body rolled over the dusty floor. Vicious glinting objects extended and furled from it's limbs, and there was a dull thud as one of the gladers suddenly passed out.

The guys closest to the creature began to cower back in fear, holding their weapons protectively in front of them.

"Stand your ground," Alby commanded, a hard edge to his tone. "You want to get out of here alive? Put the beast down!"

Some of the gladers regained their dignity and charged forward with a battle cry, lassoing their blades like whips and flinging them in the direction of it's mechanical stature.

A thick strip of metal embedded itself in the griever and it recoiled and jerked back with a metallic gurgle. The thrower gave a yelp of triumph, before the others descended on the faltering machine and stabbed it to pieces.

"Keep moving and stay alert; we may have no warning next time."

The wide trail of gladers continued their trek forward, and I moved forward slowly behind Kyle.

How's things down there? I spoke out casually.

Uneventful, Azela sighed, and Axel hummed in agreement.

"Hey," a voice brought me back to the present and I glanced up in surprise to see the dark haired girl from earlier.

"Uh, hi," I said, meeting her friendly gaze with a placid glance.

"I'm Teresa," she introduced, holding out a slender hand.

I shook it briefly as we walked side by side. "Rowan," I said shortly, shoving my hands back into the pockets of my trousers.

"So you're with this guy?" She asked, jabbing a finger in the direction of Kyle, looking thoughtful as he ambled forward.

I nodded, studying the dust patterns that lined the floors; particles were still floundering through the air as the ground was trampled by fifty pairs of feet.

She studied me intently, her brows creasing. "Are you sure? I'm pretty sure I recognise you from somewhere."

My head snapped up in genuine surprise. "What?" I exclaimed, searching her impassive gaze.

She shrugged, casually studying her fingers. "Doesn't matter. Nice to meet you anyway."

Then she stalked off, joining Thomas' side.

What the shuck was that about?