*Lab Thirty-Four*

*Lab Thirty-Four*

"What're cranks?" Someone sprouted the obvious question as soon as silence had settled.

"Monsters," Soldier stated simply, absentmindedly brushing a speck of dust from his jacket. "Humans that have been turned into cannibalistic creatures by a disease known as the flare," he continued in the same flat voice.

"So it's probably best to keep away from them?" Someone asked in a dumb tone.

"Unless you want your head bitten off, then yeah," Minho replied sardonically, folding his arms across his broad chest.

"Hey, slim it," Newt hissed to his friend.

Minho sighed and I quickly glanced over to him. His face was hard, but his shoulders seemed to relax as he met my gaze with a blank stare.

"So what are we going to do?" Azela asked.

Soldier sighed. "I suppose we ought to wait until its clear. But first," he continued, dragging the walkie-talkie from his belt. "I'm going to contact Kyle."

There was a subtle beep, and he began speaking quietly into the microphone.

Despite being at the back - where Thomas, Newt and I had somehow found ourselves - I caught snatches of speech from the conversation.

"Where are you?" He asked in a hushed tone.

"Lab thirty-four," Kyle's muffled voice returned.

The number struck me hard in the chest. Lab 34. Something stirred in my memory. I recognised it from my past, lingering on the edge of my thoughts, yet the details weren't clear.

"You alright?" Thomas whispered, looking at me carefully.

I nodded. "I recognise the number," I responded quietly. "I'm not sure."

Newt noticed we were whispering and inched closer. "Everything alright?"

"Mhmm. I'm just hungry that's all," I lied.

He nodded, though his eyes were clouded with lingering suspicion. He eyed me carefully, as a cat does a mouse. "Aren't we all."

You're making it worse! A voice screamed somewhere in my mind. Stop trying to make him more suspicious!

"Alright guys!" Soldier yelled, averting our attention. "Looks like Kyle's group have found a safer exit. We're going to head back. Someone should meet us at the original lab to escort us out safely."

There was a series of exhausted huffs and sighs, and everyone turned around. Solider pushed a path through the teenagers, none too gently, and began leading us back the way we came.

Someone close to my ear muttered under his breath. "Maybe we should have stayed in the Maze."

"No, I trust these guys!" A familiar voice countered, and I glanced over my shoulder. Chuck was trailing along behind me, and I flashed him a smile, remembering how kind he'd been to me in my past.

He suddenly leant forward, eyes smiling. "Hey, Rowan, right?"

"Indeed," I said, slipping out from between Thomas and Newt to speak to my old friend.

He turned a little sheepish, fiddling with the belt around his waist. "So, you said we were friends before?" His cheeks were slightly flushed, and I chuckled.

"Of course we were! You were one of the nicest people in the Glade," I confirmed, gently nudging his shoulder. He chuckled loudly, and my heart warmed. It was nice to have friends again. It felt as though so much had happened since I'd gotten the chance to laugh, even though I hadn't a clue how much time had actually passed. With all of my other memories mixed with the Maze, I was struggling to keep them in order, remember the details. My childhood memories had long faded, and life with my real family were faint. Lingering on the edge of my thoughts. I briefly remembered a quiet neighbourhood. I remember going to school, playing on my street with the few friends I had, singing carols with my family at Christmas. I had been content with life. Until the sun flares were launched, and everything turned upside down. The world was scorched, millions of people died. And then the Flare hit, twisting people into monsters. Twisting my friends into monsters.