*Meeting Alyssa*

*Meeting Alyssa*

The crowd suddenly burst into an uproar. I covered my ears; the shouting and screaming of the gladers ricocheted through my thoughts, striking through my mind like a gong. It was deafening. Painful. I sank to my knees, clutching my ears, clamping my eyes shut.

Then I felt arms around me, heard ripples of voices. Familiar voices; newt.

"Is she okay?" He asked breathlessly, and I felt someone crouch beside me.

I still refused to open my eyes.

"Get her out of here," Axel said, his voice sounding muffled through my fingers. "I'll try and calm this crowd down."

There was a hum of agreement, then I felt arms around my shoulders.

"Come on, Rowan. We need to get you out of here."

Then my eyes blinked open, and I released my ears with a pop. The scene rushed forth in a mingle of colours and noises.

Newt was crouched beside me, his face close to mine. I wanted to reach out and stroke his cheek, hold him, but he wouldn't understand. He wouldn't remember. I merely nodded, my eyes welling, my limbs stiff.

Newt helped me to my feet and I leaned against his shoulder as we staggered through the crowd.

Behind us, I heard the snapping of a chair and more deafening shouts, mostly coming from the keepers.

Then I heard Axel. "Alright you bloody shanks, if you don't shut up and hear us out, you're never going to get out of this place and-"

The rest was drowned away as the door closed behind us. But I felt a pang of recognition. 'Bloody shanks'. Isn't that something Newt would say?

Newt led me to side of the building, where I slumped to the ground with fatigue. What had come over me, I had no idea, but I was unable to think straight with the whirl of emotions rushing through my head.

I didn't even heed Newt, sat beside me in a thoughtful, almost respectable, silence.

My head tilted, resting on his shoulder. Just like I used to do.

And then the door flung open, and a flurry of people stormed out. Inside the shack was silence, and Axel's wobbly voice greeted me through the silence of my mind, though the words passed straight through my ears.

And then there was a girl crouched in front of me, narrowed green eyes, curly blonde hair, sharp features. "Hey, you okay?" She asked, though there was no genuine concern in her tone. More like a hint of jealousy.

I merely nodded. This was Alyssa. The one who had replaced me. I knew it. And no matter what she thought of me, I hated her. There was no way I could feel a speck of sympathy for her. It may not have been her fault, but she took Newt away from me. And I couldn't forgive that...

What had WICKED done to me?

How could I be so cold?

"Hey, Rowan, right?" Newt said, stirring.

I nodded, feeling a sense of sadness overcome my drowsiness. He was struggling to remember my name?

"You feeling okay, now?" He asked kindly, his eyes searching my face.

"Mhmm," I said quietly, my limbs flopping in exhaustion. "I think I need to rest, that's all. It's been hard trying to get here."

He nodded, and I felt his hand on my shoulder.

"I'll take her to the homestead," a voice offered, and I glanced up to see Thomas stood beside Alyssa, staring at Newt expectantly.

There was a pause, and I willed Newt to refuse. Insist he'd take me instead. But...

"Okay."

That's all he said. He helped me to my feet, told me to take it easy and stalked off with Alyssa. He didn't glance back once.

What had happened to him?