Chapter 4

I couldn't go back to bed that day but I decided on many things that morning. For one, I was going to start taking responsibility for my actions and try to act less childish. In order to start the latter I had to face the task at hand which was informing both my parents that I was pregnant.

I didn't want to do it in Brooklyn where my mother could get the chance to beat my ass, so I thought about hosting a dinner here at the house.

And yes she would beat my grown ass.

I went up to Elijah's office, heartbeat in my throat and palms sweaty. I knocked twice before I was told to come in. When I opened the door I saw a slender brunette in work attire packing her bag. She nodded at me before leaving the room quickly.

A white girl with brunette hair is Elijah's weakness.

I averted my eyes to Elijah who was stashing away dossiers in his drawers. He finally looked up at me with eyes of wonder behind his reading glasses.

"Who was she?" I asked my tone seemingly uncaring as I played with the stack of fountain pens on his desk.

"She's my assistant accountant, not that it's any of your business." He slid off his glasses and rested them on the table before squeezing his eyes as he let out a yawn.

"Have you ever slept with her before? Not that its any of my business," I smiled tightly.

He laughed, more like a single huff, "Maybe I did, maybe I didn't and what about it?" He taunted.

"Who's acting childish now," I retorted.

"I'm just playing your game Alyssa. Besides... did she look like my type to you?" He paused while I gave him the really look. "I didn't fuck her lyssa, she's Franco's girl."

"Whatever, I didn't come in here to play mind games with you, I came to ask if I could host a dinner here tomorrow and invite my parents to tell them about the baby."

He groaned, "No, no way you know I don't like people in my house, they get nosy and start touching things."

"It's nothing too big just my close friends, your brothers and my parents. It'll be intimate I promise. I just want it to look normal so they don't suspect anything."

He thought, his jaw ticking like the clock behind him in consideration.

"Alright fine but if it's more than twenty people then everyone is getting the fuck up outta here."

"Great and I'm doing it my way, which includes me helping with the cooking."

He shook his head, "No, I don't want you on your feet. You should be relaxing that's why I hired the staff."

"Elijah please just that one night. I just want my parents to eat a normal meal and feel at home. This house will already let them feel belittled by your money."

"Alright, fine. But if we're going to have a child together they better get used to the fact that I'm rich."

"I suppose."

He looks at me hesitantly deciding whether or not to, not tell me or tell me something. He chooses the latter.

"I got your father a car, so if you see him pull up in it don't question him."