Chapter 27 - Part Four

Today marked two months since we had run away from New York to start our new lives in Portugal. Even though I missed everything New York had to offer, I must say that I am thrilled to be living in such a vibrant country.

Portugal was lively, a different type of lively from Italy, but they were equally just as beautiful. Elijah and I had our identities changed to fit in with the region thus adapting a new last name Soares. My name was now Sierra, Elijah's name was Gregório and we just called Matteo, Matti since we didn't want to confuse him.

I felt strong arms wrap around my waist and a kiss was placed on my neck.

"Mhm," I moaned before he let me go and went to the stove lifting one of the pot covers.

"What are you cooking?"

"Home styled chicken and rice and peas with fried ripe plantains and a leafy salad on the side," I answered.

"Feeding me up as usual," he said and I smiled.

"Well, we've been indulging in French food for a month, I thought I should remind you of the good food of my home land."

"Turn down the fire, and come to my office they're going to call soon," he stated then he kissed my lips and left the kitchen.

Vincent decided that he would call us the last day of every month to check up on us and tell us about what was happening back there. I don't think this set up would last for long because he doesn't want anyone to study him.

I did what he said, and after washing my hands I went upstairs to Elijah's office. Matteo squealed when he saw me and smashed the toys he was playing with on the ground excitedly.

"Mama!" He babbled.

"Hey baby," I smiled lifting him up and kissing his cheeks before resting him on my hip.

Matteo was now seven months and had started speaking gibberish and eating solid food. The first proper word he said was dada and it had me mad for weeks until he finally gave me what I wanted by saying mama.

Elijah was busy on his laptop operating some of his mafia business still. This man is never going to learn so I let him do whatever.

His phone rang and he answered it and put it on speaker.

"Hello?"

"How are you guys doing?" Vincent asked.

Elijah pulled me onto his lap and kissed my lips.

"We're fine," he replied after looking at Matteo and I.

He's been so much more loving with me after the stunt Silvio pulled and I couldn't be happier.

"Good, good."

Vincent sounded happy to know that we were fine.

"Is everyone keeping their mouth shut back there?"

"Yeah. The rest of the world still think you guys are dead," Vincent answered.

When we left New York, Vincent set something up to make it look like the three of us died in an accident. Fortunately for us, the world believed it.

"Great."

"Your mother wants to speak to you and so does your brothers and tell Alyssa her friends want to say hi," Vincent continued.

I laughed, "Hi Vincent."

"Hello Alyssa, can't talk long we have three minutes left to make this work."

Whenever they called we would not talk longer than five minutes and the SIM card we used would be disposed of.

We used the time wisely to say hi to everyone before we hung up and Elijah broke the SIM card.

My heart sighed.

"I miss them," I admitted.

"I know," he said. "Me too."

"Go finish cooking and I'll watch Matteo."

Elijah fed Matteo his mashed potatoes and pumpkin while I ate.

"Do you think we'll ever be able to see them again?" I asked out of the bloom.

"It depends, but not any time soon. Maybe ten years from now," he answered.

Ten years!

"Do you really think we'll be hiding out that long?" I questioned.

He hesitated before telling me honestly.

"I think that we may be hiding out even longer."

After dinner Elijah went back to his office with Matteo and I went to our room to take a shower and dress up.

While I was applying the lotion to my skin, Elijah came in with Matteo both were dressed up in clothes to keep them warm.

"Get dressed, I'm taking you guys out," he said.

I looked at him suspiciously as he lingered in our doorway. A smirk played on his lips before he disappears out of sight.

In a few minutes, I was dressed warmly and ready to leave.

The ride to wherever we were going consisted of me singing to Matteo while he clapped his hands and laughed.

A half smile graced Elijah's face secretively as if he didn't want me to see him smile at such a small thing.

We ended up at the cinema, and Elijah showed the attendant our tickets and we were admitted inside the new kids movie that was showing.

I look over at him as he ushers us up to the upper seats that were at the secluded section of the theatre.

As we sit down I turn to him, "This is very spontaneous behavior. You haven't acted like this since four years ago when you were trying to get me naked."

He smiled then he scratched his upper lip trying to conceal it.

I lean over and kiss his lips, "I love you."

"I love you too," he grumbles as the movie starts.

"I love you more," I whispered playfully.

"I'm not doing that shit," he states bluntly.

I laugh silently then I look down at Matteo who's seated on my lap. His eyes are wide as he takes in the animation.

"I wanted to show you that even though we have to start over here, it could be good for us. I'll be able to spend more time with you and give you the love and attention you deserve as my wife and what Matteo deserves as my son. Vincent wasn't there when I was growing up, I want to be different for Matteo and that's why I think that maybe this whole new life thing isn't so bad," he explained.

"Maybe it isn't," I respond confidently.

______________________________________