Chapter 28

Elijah

7 years later

Alyssa and I spent seven years in Portugal hiding out, but we were happy. I was finally able to be a normal husband for my wife and a father who was there to nurture his son and give him the love that I never got.

Happiness struck us even more when three years ago Alyssa gave birth to our new son Jacob Tyler Sante Francesco Rossini. The middle name is a combination of all my brothers' names. Alyssa suggested it and I went along with it, even if he would have trouble spelling it in the future.

I never thought I would be happy about us having another kid, but when she told me I was excited, fucking excited, can you believe it?

I held Alyssa's hand as we walked side by side in the park. JT was rested on her side and Matteo held my hand as we strolled along leisurely. No impeding trouble, no mafia leader around the corner to stumble upon, just us and the surrounding families and couples. No stress, not even a little bit.

Until my phone rang unexpectedly. Alyssa looked to me sharply because she knows as well as me that we know no one here apart from her employer. So the call must be from home which is strange because we just spoke to them last week, at the end of the month, when our calls are always scheduled for.

I step away from Alyssa and motion her to sit on the bench until I come back. Then I answer and wait for the voice to speak.

"Elijah it's Vincent."

"What's up? You just called last week," I answer and wait for his response.

"Son, Alessio is dead," he states and I sharply inhale more than surprised by the news.

I clench my jaw tightly before exhaling sharply, "How?"

"How? I know you've been gone for seven years but that doesn't mean that the mafia doesn't exist anymore," he snaps.

I breathe through my nose trying to calm myself.

He sighs, "I'm sorry for snapping. I want you to come home for the funeral on Sunday," he says but I know it's a demand.

"I can't. I don't want to risk it," I dismiss his demand.

I don't want to go home. I mean I do miss my family but what's back home is stress, trauma and my duty to the Cosa Nostra. We're happy here and I like it here. Here I'm free from my mafia obligations, the only obligations I have here are my family.

"Your case has fizzled out, the feds have bigger fish to fry. I want you home by Sunday Elijah and seated in the cathedral by nine am." He hangs up after his final words. I stare at the phone for a second before I go over to Alyssa.

"We have to go home," I barely mumble as she watches me carefully.

"Come again?"

"I said... we have to go home," I repeat and she looks at me in disbelief.

"Are you talking about New York?" She whisper yells looking around us.

"Yes."

She gasps, "What about..."

"It's handled. Alessio is dead we're going back for his funeral and to stay," I deadpanned before dropping beside her on the bench.