Chapter 12

California is actually so beautiful much more scenery than New York, especially when your view is from a yacht. New York was still better though, because it was home.

I haven't been on one of these since Elijah and I's date years ago. It's really exquisite, relaxing and completely white thus its name angel.

I laid on Elijah's chest as we tried to soak in as much sun as possible. Quite frankly I liked it better when he was tanned, he had this glow about him that made him look radiant.

I told him that my feet were swollen and he rubbed them for me with some ointment.

"Better?" I nodded then he kissed my cheek. "Are you hungry?" He asked.

"Always," I answered.

A small smile appeared on his lips before it's gone, "I'm gonna make something."

I watched him as he walked off body clad in royal blue Polo Ralph Lauren shorts and a black shirt.

He seemed okay but I knew like me he couldn't forget our conversation about him proposing.

He returned with two large sandwiches and a glass of lemonade for me. Not made by him but our chef that's on board with us this morning.

He watched me as I ate while he does work on his iPad. He never relaxes, really and truly this vacation is for me.

"What are you doing?" I asked.

"I'm drawing up some territories, I have a meeting tomorrow with the members of the underworld. Since I'm taking over I have to lay out some ground rules."

"Oh," I answered.

"It's January Alyssa, I already told you I was taking over in January."

"Yeah it's just that I lost track of time," I mumbled absentmindedly.

"My due date is in April," I announced.

"Hopefully I will be finished with my objectives at that time." He turned to face me. "Are you sure you don't want to know what gender the baby is?"

"Im sure, I want it to be a surprise."

"Are you sure it's that, or are you just scared the baby could be a boy?" He asked cocking his dark brow at me.

I momentarily played with my sandwich, thinking about it.

"I can read you like a book Alyssa. Since you don't want to know, I'll phone your doctor and ask her the gender so that I can buy clothes for the baby since you're so scared. We need to be prepared."

"I'm not scared," I hissed and he smiled and squeezed my knee.

He leaned on his elbows looking at me deeply with an intimacy that even a blind man could know wasn't fake.

"I'm..." he cleared his throat. "I'm really nervous about being a father," he admitted his face still neutral.

"And I'm really nervous about being a mother, but I guess we'll just have to help each other figure it out."

He sighed before beginning, "To be honest, I never wanted that baby, but after my father died I realized that having kids is apart of my job of being a mobster. I mean look at me, I'm here to take over my father's legacy. Our family's bloodline would die out if I didn't have someone to pass it down to and so now I realize the importance of kids.

I was also thinking how everything happens for a reason. If you had told me before dad died I would've probably forced you into getting an abortion and then I'd regret it," he confessed.